ATP Rankings: Dominic Thiem breaks up Big Three dominance while Dan Evans cracks top 30
Novak Djokovic remains No 1 in the ATP Rankings, Rafael Nadal is still behind him, but there is a change at No 3 as Dominic Thiem has replaced Roger Federer.
The Big Three have been occupying the top three in the ATP Rankings since May 2006, but there is a tweak at the top, although neither Federer nor Thiem were in action this weekend.
With Federer out injured following knee surgery, it meant he was unable to defend his 500 points at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
That leaves the 20-time Grand Slam winner on 6,630 points and with Thiem on 7,045 points, the Austrian reached a career-high of No 3 in the world rankings.
Djokovic leads the way with 10,220 points as he added 500 points after winning in Dubai while Nadal moved to 9,850 points after winning in Acapulco.
The rest of the top 10 remains the same with Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Alexander Zverev, Matteo Berrettini, Gael Monfils and David Goffin keeping their positions.
Grigor Dimitrov was the big mover as he is up three places to return to the top 20 while Dan Evans is the new British No 1 as he is up nine places to No 28 on the back of his run to the semi-final in Dubai with Kyle Edmund down in No 44.
ATP Rankings Top 20
1. Novak Djokovic (Serbia) 10,220 points
2. Rafael Nadal (Spain) 9,850
3. Dominic Thiem (Austria) 7,045
4. Roger Federer (Switzerland) 6,630
5. Daniil Medvedev (Russia) 5,890
6. Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greece) 4,745
7. Alexander Zverev (Germany) 3,630
8. Matteo Berrettini (Italy) 2,860
9. Gael Monfils (France) 2,860
10. David Goffin (Belgium) 2,555
11. Fabio Fognini (Italy) 2,400
12. Roberto Bautista Agut (Spain) 2,360
13. Diego Schwartzman (Argentina) 2,265
14. Andrey Rublev (Russia) 2,234
15. Karen Khachanov (Russia) 2,120
16. Denis Shapovalov (Canada) 2,075
17. Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland) 2,060
18. Cristian Garin (Chile) 1,900
19. Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria) 1,850
20. Felix Auger-Aliassime (Canada) 1,771
Australian Open chief defends Novak Djokovic over quarantine note, saying ‘they were suggestions’
Craig Tiley jumps to Novak Djokovic’s defence.
Quarantine remains in place for 72 players ahead of Australian Open
Two Covid-19 cases have been deemed viral shedding.
EXCLUSIVE – British Davis Cup captain Leon Smith recalls sitting next to Judy Murray as her son won Wimbledon
We talk to Leon Smith about his coaching journey.
Australian Open tension boiling over as players, pundits, ex-pros, fans involved in social media spats
It’s all kicking off on social media.
Roberto Bautista Agut slams quarantine restrictions saying ‘it’s like being in jail, but with WiFi’
“These people have no idea,” says Roberto Bautista Agut.
Victoria Azarenka pens thoughtful letter to tennis community urging them to ‘accept, adapt’
Victoria Azarenka calls for calm.
Nick Kyrgios brands Novak Djokovic a ‘tool’ following Australian Open quarantine squabble
Nick Kyrgios again unimpressed by Novak Djokovic.
EXCLUSIVE – Leon Smith reflects on coaching Andy Murray and the role of the inspirational Judy Murray
Leon Smith looks back on his days coaching Andy Murray.
Alexander Zverev goes ‘back to his family roots’ as he leaves Roger Federer’s management firm
Alexander Zverev confirms changes to his team.
Tennis players’ isolation complaints given short shrift by Victorian Premier
A total of 72 players are unable to leave their rooms.