Daniil Medvedev news: Russian guaranteed at least three weeks at No 1
Daniil Medvedev is guaranteed to stay at No 1 for at least three weeks despite his loss to Rafael Nadal in the semifinals in Acapulco on Friday.
Novak Djokovic’s quarterfinal exit in Dubai meant that Medvedev was guaranteed top spot before he stepped out on court for his own quarterfinal at the Mexican Open.
With the top two’s weeks over we now know the state of play going forward.
Medvedev will sport a 150-point lead on Djokovic heading into Indian Wells. As the Serbian is unable to play in the tournament and there are no alternative events, Medvedev can ensure a longer reign as No 1 by reaching the last eight.
The Russian will relinquish the points from his Marseille title in 2021 on 21 March, and could then drop the ranking straight back to Djokovic if he hasn’t made the quarterfinals at the BNP Paribas Open.
Medvedev missed a chance to open up a bigger gap when he lost in the semifinals to Rafael Nadal, had he made the final and lost, it would have been 270 points while he could have bagged a 470 point lead with the title.
The soon to be world no 1 was disappointed with his error rate in a straight sets but hard-fought loss to Nadal.
“If you want to beat Nadal, you have to play at your best level and I didn’t,” Medvedev said. “I made too many mistakes and I failed to convert 11 break points. I was missing some energy today.”
Medvedev may be set to become the World No 1 but he is yet to defeat Nadal in direct competition, losing all 14 of their singles matches to date.
With Djokovic also looking set to miss the Miami event, the ranking might be changing hands multiple times over the next few weeks.
Medvedev has the distinct advantage of having his fate in his own hands though with Djokovic possibly set to miss more tournaments due to entry requirements of both tournaments and the nations they are held in.
The Serbian was hopeful that he might find a way to enter the upcoming events in the United States.
“As of today, (no). I can’t go – can’t enter United States,” Djokovic said in Dubai. “As of today I’m not able to play. But let’s see what happens. I mean, maybe things change in the next few weeks.”
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
Wimbledon didn’t want to ‘risk safety of players’ or ‘success being used as propaganda by Russian regime’
Wimbledon has hit back at the ATP and WTA with a statement of their own.
WTA statement as women’s body also strips Wimbledon of ranking points over Russian player ban
WTA also has harsh words for Wimbledon after stripping grass-court major of ranking points.
ATP statement: Wimbledon slammed for ‘undermining integrity of the ATP Ranking system’
ATP unimpressed by Wimbledon.
Wimbledon thrown into chaos as ATP strips Slam of ranking points over Russian and Belarusian player ban
Big, big news as players won’t earn points for competing at Wimbledon.
Iga Swiatek made French Open favourite by former British No 1 Tim Henman
Tim Henman has been impressed by the progress in Iga Swiatek’s game.
Naomi Osaka admits trepidation ahead of return to Roland Garros
Naomi Osaka took questions at Roland Garros for the first time since her 2021 walkout.
Iga Swiatek prepared to handle the heat of being French Open favourite
The world number one has won five successive tournaments and 28 straight matches.
Rafael Nadal praying the pain stays away in bid to win 14th French Open
The 35-year-old was troubled by the issue in Rome last week.