Further doubts over Rafael Nadal’s participation in US Open as he adds Madrid Open to his schedule
Rafael Nadal may well have given a clear indication that he won’t compete in this year’s US Open after confirming he will take part in the Madrid Open.
This year’s tennis calendar has been thrown into chaos due to the coronavirus pandemic and the French Open, which was originally due to take place in May-June, will now run from September 27-October 13.
It means the clay-court Grand Slam will start only two weeks after the US Open, which kept its original slot of August 31-September 14.
However, it means players competing at Flushing Meadows will be pressed for time to prepare for the red-dirt major and some have indicated that they might skip the US Open and stay in Europe.
Nadal, who is the defending champion in both New York and Roland Garros, has previously admitted that he might sit out this year’s US Open and he has now given another hint as Madrid Open Tournament Director Feliciano Lopez has confirmed his participation.
He hablado con mi amigo @RafaelNadal y me ha confirmado su participación en Madrid el próximo mes de septiembre! ❤️ ¡Te esperamos como siempre con los brazos abiertos en la Caja Mágica! pic.twitter.com/ZWywVEQstO
— Feliciano López (@feliciano_lopez) July 7, 2020
“I talked to my friend Rafael Nadal and he has confirmed his participation in Madrid next September! We wait for you as always with open arms at Caja Mágica,” he wrote on Twitter.
The ATP Masters 1000 clay-court tournament starts on September 14, one day after the US Open final.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Wimbledon 2021: When does it take place, what’s new, who’s missing, TV channels, betting, prize money
All your Wimbledon 2021 info.
Czech Republic vs England: Three Lions looking for response to Scotland disappointment
England need to beat Czech Republic to win Euro 2020 group.
Rafael Nadal ‘exhausted’ and close to ‘mental fatigue’ after draining clay-court season, says his coach
“He is going to take a well-deserved rest,” says Carlos Moya.
No Wimbledon mixed doubles with Serena Williams for Andy Murray as he confirms ‘singles is enough for me’
Andy Murray will play singles for first time since 2017.
Contenders for the Wimbledon women’s title: From Simona Halep to Serena Williams and Coco Gauff
Ten women to watch at the All England Club.
Wimbledon will look very different this year – here is what to expect at the 2021 Championships
Centre Court will host capacity crowds for the finals.
Contenders for the Wimbledon men’s title: From Novak Djokovic to Roger Federer and a dark horses
Ten players to watch at the All England Club.
Wimbledon’s home away from home regulation ‘will be very odd’ for British No 1 Johanna Konta
Johanna Konta is one of 14 British players in the singles main draws.
Five Wimbledon talking points: A potential last hurrah for Andy Murray while Serena Williams goes for history
The Championships are back after the 2020 break.
Ons Jabeur creates a slice of tennis history with a win in the LTA Viking Classic
Ons Jabeur earned herself a place in the history books.