Gael Monfils news: Former world No 6 withdraws from Monte Carlo Masters due to injury
Gael Monfils, the current highest ranked French player, has announced he is withdrawing from the Monte Carlo Masters due to a foot injury and will have to delay his start to the clay season.
It was meant to be the first time the 35-year-old returned to play in this ATP 1000 event since 2016 but he will have to wait another year to make his 11th appearance at the tournament.
The Australian Open quarter finalist announced the news of his withdrawal on Twitter and will therefore be replaced in the competition by a ‘lucky loser’ who initially failed to qualify for the tournament.
Salut à tous, je dois malheureusement me retirer du tournoi de Monte-Carlo suite a une gêne au pied. Les medecins m’ont conseillé de prendre du repos pour ne pas que le problème s’agrave. Je prévois de revenir pour le tournoi de Madrid ! A tres vite 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/MOmWmQysVj
— Gael Monfils (@Gael_Monfils) April 10, 2022
“Hi all, sadly I have had to withdraw from Monte Carlo following an issue with my foot,” the Geneva resident wrote on his social media feed.
“Doctors have advised me to rest before it gets more serious.
“I am planning to be back in time for Madrid – see you soon.”
It was six years ago since Monfils reached his first and only final at the Monte Carlo event but he was beaten by 21 time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal.
He was last seen at the Miami Open but he only managed to reach the second round where he was beaten by Argentinian Francisco Cerundolo, but the Frenchman recently revealed that his wife, Elina Svitolina is one of his biggest inspirations and he might not be in the sport if it wasn’t for her.
“I am in awe of my wife, frankly it is thanks to her that I play,” he told Le Parisen.
“In all transparency if she hadn’t gone to Indian Wells and Miami, I wouldn’t have gone there either – I can’t even figure out how she could play.
“It’s exceptional to find so much energy and will in moments like this – hats off! I tell her every time I follow her example, she has exceptional abilities in life.”
Monfils is hoping to return for the Madrid Open which gets underway from April 26.
Exclusive – Former British No 1 insists Novak Djokovic deserves more respect
Novak Djokovic deserves equal billing alongside Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Wimbledon ranking points decision sparking angry reaction from players
The decision from the ATP and WTA…
Carlos Alcaraz ‘a different person’ as he prepares for second French Open
Carlos Alcaraz heads into the French Open…
Cameron Norrie wins Lyon Open for fourth career title
Cameron Norrie claims his fourth career title in Lyon.
Novak Djokovic ready to be tested in French Open defence after ‘very tough’ draw
The Serbian could face Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz and Alexander Zverev if he wants to win the title
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.