‘I don’t see any reason why he can’t win Wimbledon’ – Roger Federer’s ex-coach after tennis great’s setback
Roger Federer’s former coach Paul Annacone insists he is “not quite ready to write off” the 20-time Grand Slam winner following his injury setback.
The 38-year-old Federer announced on Thursday that he would be sidelined for at least four months after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee earlier in the week.
The Swiss will miss five events, including Roland Garros, but he is determined to be back for the grass-court season with the Halle Open in mid-June a potential return date.
Many pundits and fans, though, fear that we may well have seen the last of tennis great and Annacone, who coached Federer between 2010 and 2013, admits making a comeback will be tough due to his age.
“The big challenge in my experience is the older you get, the harder it is to come back from anything,” he told the New York Times.
“But these all-time greats are aberrations, not the rule, so you risk your own peril to predict what’s going to happen, pro or con. In 2010, when I started with him, people were wondering when he was going to retire.”
However, Annacone is confident Federer will return to compete at the top again and challenge for a ninth Wimbledon title.
“He just got to the semis of the Aussie Open by the skin of his teeth basically, but he was there, and those are the moments all those greats live for.
“So I’m not quite ready to write him off. And you look at his grass-court record and how unique his game is for grass, I don’t see any reason he can’t still win Wimbledon.”
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.
More coronavirus cases linked to arrivals for Australian Open
Australian Open boss said the safety of the Victorian community will not be compromised.
Big boost for LTA’s innovation drive as it signs deal with UK distributor of the Slinger Bag
LTA signs deal with Framework Sports & Marketing Ltd.
Australian Open chief defends Novak Djokovic over quarantine note, saying ‘they were suggestions’
Craig Tiley jumps to Novak Djokovic’s defence.
Quarantine remains in place for 72 players ahead of Australian Open
Two Covid-19 cases have been deemed viral shedding.
EXCLUSIVE – British Davis Cup captain Leon Smith recalls sitting next to Judy Murray as her son won Wimbledon
We talk to Leon Smith about his coaching journey.
Australian Open tension boiling over as players, pundits, ex-pros, fans involved in social media spats
It’s all kicking off on social media.
Roberto Bautista Agut slams quarantine restrictions saying ‘it’s like being in jail, but with WiFi’
“These people have no idea,” says Roberto Bautista Agut.