Roger Federer has confirmed he plans on playing the French Open again in 2020, although he also added he won’t be doing a full clay season.
Federer had a self-imposed three-year exile from clay before returning the the event last year, but that appears to be over now.
“I’m going to play the clay again this year like last year,” Federer is quoted as saying by Forbes.
“I’m just not going to play the full clay court schedule. I’m going to take time again to rest and train before the big swing of the French, Wimbledon, and then the Olympics and the U.S. Open.
“I’m really looking forward to it. I hope I’m going to stay as injury free as this year because it was a lot of fun playing this way because I just felt good and then when you feel good, you just play good as well.
Federer will also fit in the Olympics and the Laver Cup, but he says that he believes he can handle the increased schedule compared to recent years.
“The schedule might look heavy but I think it’s a really balanced schedule which I think is going to work very well,” he said. “I’m confident about that.”
WTA players with the most matches?
French tennis boss accused of “going it alone”.
Wimbledon 2020 is off, according to German tennis boss.
Continuing his countdown of tennis’ greatest ever…
Australian can’t see quick return.
Rafa gets another GOAT vote.
Osaka disappointed, but vows to be ready in 2021.
A look back at the first-ever all-Williams final.
Stan Wawrinka and his ‘mates’ keep fit.
WTA boss hopeful season will restart on June 8.