Juan Martin del Potro: I need a longer break to be ready for Indian Wells
Juan Martin del Potro won’t defend his Mexican Open title as he admits he needs to take some more time off following his comeback tournament at Delray Beach.
Having spent the last four months on the sidelines after fracturing his knee during the Shanghai Masters last year, Del Potro finally made his competitive return in Florida this week while Acapulco organisers announced on Wednesday that he would be headed to Mexico next week.
And he looked solid as he won his opening two matches in straight sets, but his run was ended by Mackenzie McDonald the American won in three sets.
After the match, Dle Potro confirmed that he would not head to Acapulco to defend his Mexican Open title as he needs more time to recover ahead of the defence of his Indian Wells Masters title.
“I am not feeling good enough to keep playing but I wanted to do my big effort tonight,” he said. “I think I did well, I fight to the last point of the match but it’s really difficult to win the match playing like this. I couldn’t run 100 per cent. Now I have to take a break a little bit longer to be ready for Indian Wells.”
He added: “The doctor says if I want to be 100% it will need time.
“But I don’t want to be at home anymore watching the tournaments on TV because I had this in the past & it was really bad to me. But in this condition it’s not easy to play my best level.”
More from Tennis365:
Roger Federer sends his fans into a frenzy with Twitter post ahead of his return to action
Roger Federer fans are counting down to his return to action in Doha next week and his tweet teasing his return instantly became a big hit.
Iga Swiatek’s perfect week as she claims her second WTA title
Iga Swiatek won her second career WTA title with victory over Belinda Bencic in the final of the Adelaide International.
Jamie Murray says quarantine threat on tour means players must be ready to adapt
The doubles specialist plans to travel to tournaments in Mexico and Miami next month without knowing what to expect on arrival.
Battle of the Brits event is back and this time with spectators
The Battle of the Brits events were a huge success during the Covid-19 crisis and now they are set to return with spectators.
The only way is up for Naomi Osaka as she looks to replicate hard-court success on clay and grass
Oli Jefford on the world being Naomi Osaka’s oyster.
Britain’s strength in depth in doubles highlights quality of structure
British tennis may be wondering who can replace Andy Murray, but they have a very different story to tell in the doubles arena.
Rafael Nadal pulls out of his next event due to ‘ongoing’ back problem
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the ABN…
Lleyton Hewitt to be inducted into International Tennis Hall Of Fame
Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt is the latest player who will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Five of the best men’s matches at the Australian Open featuring Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Rafael Nadal, and more
The matches that made us sit up and take note.
Five of the best women’s matches at Australian Open featuring Naomi Osaka vs Garbine Muguruza, and more
Five of the best women’s singles matches at the 2021 Aus Open.