Juan Martin del Potro has been forced to withdraw from the ATP World Tour Finals due to injury with Kei Nishikori the big beneficiary.
World No 4 Del Potro fractured his right knee cap during the Shanghai Masters last month and he was hopeful of regaining full fitness ahead of the season-ending event at London’s O2 Arena.
However, he has been unable to recover in time for the tournament, which runs from November 11-18.
“It’s frustrating for me not to be able to compete in London,” Del Potro told ATPWorldTour.com.
“It’s a very special tournament and I’ve tried everything possible to get my knee better. The rehabilitation is making good progress, but I need more time.
“Of course, it’s disappointing for me right now, but I had a very good season overall.”
It means Nishikori will make a fourth appearance in the ATP World Tour Finals having also featured in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Kevin Anderson, Marin Cilic and Dominic Thiem are the other players who have qualified.
Will we see Federer sooner than we thought?
Will French Open be moved again?
Swiss star makes history again.
Jamie Murray is co-organising a tournament.
Rafa gives tip to the pretenders.
Should fans be allowed to attend?
The Thiem row rumbles on.
Rafa believes in youngsters.
Johanna Konta says she is ‘disorientated’
Michael Graham on why Roland Garros is his favourite.