Fifth seed Kei Nishikori became the biggest casualty at the Monte-Carlo Masters on Wednesday as he was beaten by Pierre-Hugues Herbert, but Stefanos Tsitsipas and Cameron Norrie are safely through.
Former US Open finalist Nishikori finished runner-up to Rafael Nadal last year, but there will be no repeat of those heroics this campaign as he crashed out in the second round.
The Japanese went down 7-5, 6-4 to Pierre-Hugues Herbert, who will meet Borna Coric next.
“I’m very happy to finally beat Kei,” Herbert said. “I was very confident with my defence.
“I came to the match with good feelings after the first round.”
Sixth seed Tsitsipas made a bright start as he held off Mikhail Kukushkin to move into the third round where he will meet Daniil Medvedev.
The Greek secured a 6-3, 7-5 win in one hour and 42 minutes, hitting 22 winners in the process.
“There are players out there that want to beat me badly and want the same piece of maybe glory that I want,” Tsitsipas said.
“So it’s going to be very difficult to stay concentrated and focused, but once I get there, I think there is nothing that can stop me, because I feel like I can play really good on clay.”
Having won his first-ever main draw match at Monte-Carlo on Monday, Norrie made it two wins as he beat Martin Fucsovics 7-6 (7-3), 6-3.
Next up for Norrie is Italian Lorenzo Sonego in the next round.
Taylor Fritz, meanwhile, earned a third-round clash against world No 1 Novak Djokovic as he beat Diego Schwartzman 6-4, 6-2.
Do you think you can win a point against Serena Williams?
Mark Petchey says Andy Murray is gunning for another Grand Slam title.
Take a bow Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Li Na and Mary Pierce.
“Enjoy Roger Federer while he’s still playing”.
Shock, horror! Nick Kyrgios involved in social media spat.
Bernard Tomic’s appeal against Wimbledon fine rejected.
Alexander Zverev looks to focus on tennis.
A look at the prize money on offer at the Grand Slams.
Get your daily dose of tennis news and gossip.
Mats Wilander unimpressed by Roger Federer’s tactics.