Kei Nishikori is hopeful his injury nightmare will soon be over as he is targeting a return to action by the end of March.
The former world No 4 hasn’t played any competitive tennis since last year’s US Open due to a long-standing elbow injury, but there was talk that he could feature for Japan in this weekend’s Davis Cup qualifier against Ecuador.
However, the 30-year-old took the decision not to compete as he wasn’t match fit, but revealed that his elbow is fine and set his sights on the Miami Open, which starts on March 23.
“Everything is going well, but I just couldn’t make it in time. I’m sure I will come back soon, hopefully in Miami this month or for the clay-court season, but not this week,” he told Daviscup.com.
“My elbow is fine, but my body is not ready yet and I want to build it up. I’ve rested a long time and I am coming back from zero. It’s sad, seeing the Australian Open and now skipping the Davis Cup, and other big tournaments are coming.”
Forget them failing, says Forget.
Romanian fearful for future.
Plans awaiting go-ahead.
Fabio Fognini goes under the knife.
Juan Martin del Potro makes change to coaching set-up.
John McEnroe rates Nick Kyrgios quite highly.
Karolina Pliskova unimpressed by complaints.
Greg Rusedski on Roger Federer’s Grand Slam hopes.
Will we see Federer sooner than we thought?
Will French Open be moved again?