Wimbledon and LTA confirm full UK grass court ban for Russian and Belarusian players
Russian and Belarusian players have been banned from the 2022 Championships Wimbledon in response to the invasion of Ukraine.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club, who run the Wimbledon Championships, claim they are acting to “limit Russia’s global influence through the strongest means possible”.
Russian men’s World No 2 Daniil Medvedev and Belarusian WTA World No 4 Aryna Sabalenka are the leading players affected by the ban.
“In the circumstances of such unjustified and unprecedented military aggression, it would be unacceptable for the Russian regime to derive any benefits from the involvement of Russian or Belarusian players,” a statement from The All England Lawn Tennis Club said on Wednesday.
“It is therefore our intention, with deep regret, to decline entries from Russian and Belarusian players to Wimbledon.”
Russia’s Andrey Rublev is currently eighth in the ATP rankings, while compatriot Karen Khachanov is in 26th place.
Russian world No 15 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus are two further top female players who will miss the grass-court Grand Slam.
The Lawn Tennis Association has also banned Russian or Belarusian players from competing in other British grass-court tournaments at Eastbourne, Queen’s Club and Birmingham.
Wimbledon, arguably the most high-profile of tennis’s four Grand Slam events, runs from 27 June to 10 July this year.
Russian and Belarusian players will still able to compete at the French Open, which starts at Roland Garros in May as things stand.
“On behalf of the All England Club and the Committee of Management of The Championships, we wish to express our ongoing support for all those impacted by the conflict in Ukraine during these shocking and distressing times,” the AELTC statement said.
“We share in the universal condemnation of Russia’s illegal actions and have carefully considered the situation in the context of our duties to the players, to our community and to the broader UK public as a British sporting institution.
“We have also taken into account guidance set out by the UK Government specifically in relation to sporting bodies and events.
“Given the profile of The Championships in the United Kingdom and around the world, it is our responsibility to play our part in the widespread efforts of Government, industry, sporting and creative institutions to limit Russia’s global influence through the strongest means possible.”
Toni Nadal makes Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz admission as he assesses Rafael Nadal hopes
Toni Nadal has discussed his nephew’s chances of winning another French Open title.
Top coach explains how Jannik Sinner could replicate Novak Djokovic in big 2024 claim
Jannik Sinner has been backed to have a huge 2024 season and mirror something Novak Djokovic achieved.
Carlos Alcaraz reveals player who remains his idol as he names Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer as inspirations
Carlos Alcaraz has cited both Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer as inspirations, but one legend is still his hero.
Novak Djokovic approach hailed in Serena Williams comparison by American great’s former coach
Novak Djokovic has been likened to his fellow tennis legend Serena Williams in his approach to the sport.
Emma Raducanu finally confirms when she will make her comeback in 2024
The 21-year-old has not played a match since in April, but she will be back in action next month.
Entry list confirmed for Rafael Nadal’s comeback tournament and he could face an old foe
Rafael Nadal will not be seeded for the event in Brisbane as his ranking has collapsed due to his inactivity over the last year.
Leading coach gives a clinical verdict on the Carlos Alcaraz vs Jannik Sinner debate
Alcaraz may be keen to avoid a meeting with Sinner at the Australian Open.
Novak Djokovic vs Carlos Alcaraz in Saudi Arabia – when it is, what can we expect, how much are they getting paid?
Djokovic and Alcaraz will be joined in Saudi Arabia by WTA Tour stars Aryna Sabalenka and Ons Jabeur for exhibition matches.
Rafael Nadal’s alarming update on his comeback plans puts perspective on his ambitions
Nadal has admitted his comeback plans were in the balance for much of the last six months.
The 5 players to win ATP titles without losing a set in 2023: Carlos Alcaraz the only one to do it twice
Here is a look at the six times a player won an ATP title without dropping a set in 2023.