Nadal withdraws from Brisbane event
Rafael Nadal’s return to action has again been delayed after he pulled out of the Brisbane International as he is “still not ready after last year’s long season”.
The world No 1 hasn’t played any competitive tennis since he withdrew from the ATP World Tour Finals in mid-November with a knee injury.
He was initially expected to play at the Mubadala World Tennis Championships in Abu Dhabi this week, but decided to skip the event and pencilled Brisbane in as his comeback tournament.
However, he confirmed on Twitter that he won’t take part in Brisbane International.
“I am sorry to announce I won’t be coming to Brisbane this year,” the Spaniard wrote.
“My intention was to play but I am still not ready after last year’s long season and the late start of my preparation.”
It means he has been forced to tweak his preparations for the Australian Open, which runs from January 15-28.
“I will be seeing my Aussie fans when I land on the 4th in Melbourne and start there my preparation for the Australian Open,” Nadal added.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…
On this day in 2014: Stan Wawrinka ends Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open run
The Swiss won a five-set epic to deny Djokovic a piece of history.
Novak Djokovic hits back at allegations of being ‘selfish, difficult and ungrateful’
Djokovic says he finds it tough to be ‘a mere onlooker’.
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.
More coronavirus cases linked to arrivals for Australian Open
Australian Open boss said the safety of the Victorian community will not be compromised.
Big boost for LTA’s innovation drive as it signs deal with UK distributor of the Slinger Bag
LTA signs deal with Framework Sports & Marketing Ltd.