Napoli Cup’s woes continue as Corentin Moutet retires to avoid injury and Fabio Fognini highlights chaos
The troubled Napoli Cup had yet another day to forget on Thursday as Corentin Moutet retired as “the court was too dangerous” to play while Fabio Fognini was unimpressed by the ATP’s organisation of the event.
The Napoli Cup was upgraded from an ATP Challenger Tour event to an ATP Tour 250 as it was one of six tournaments awarded single-year licences following the cancelation of the China swing.
The start of the tournament was delayed after players complained that the surface was not up to scratch. It resulted in the courts being stripped and replaced by turf shipped from nearby Florence, which recently hosted an ATP event.
But that was not the end of the tournament’s problems as Colombian doubles player Nicolás Barriento slammed organisers over the “poor planning and organisation” after his belongings were found on the floor in the hotel lobby.
“This is the last straw!” he wrote on social media. “How can this happen in an ATP 250? Not even in a Challenger had it ever happened to me…”
Esto llenó la taza! Como puede pasar esto en un ATP250, ni en un Challenger me había pasado, bueno creo que a mi partner le paso en un Challenger organizado por la misma empresa de este 250. Abro hilo pic.twitter.com/LuXQura3Kw
— Nicolas Barrientos (@nicobg15) October 18, 2022
But things escalated again on Thursday as Moutet threw in the towel during the first set of his second-round clash against fifth seed Miomr Kecmanovic.
The Frenchman later explained on Instagram: “I wish I could continue but with my adductor, the court was too dangerous to continue playing.
“Sorry to the crowd. I tried my best but I didn’t want to risk continuing to play on slippery courts.”
Later in the day Fognini took on top seed Pablo Carreno Busta, but the match lasted only three games before it was suspended due to the poor surface.
The Italian made his feelings about the courts and tournament clear in an Instagram Story.
“Tonight I took to the court for my second match of the day,” he wrote. “And at the end of the warm-up I asked the supervisor to intervene because I wanted him to check the conditions of the court.
“It was very slippery and nevertheless I was denied this possibility. The supervisor showed up after two games and then stopped the match after the third game. Why this delay?
“This is a serious shortcoming of the ATP tour in a week which is already very complex. See you tomorrow. I’m waiting for you all on the court!”
Earlier in the day second seed Matteo Berrettini booked his place in the quarter-final with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Roberto Carballes Baena while American Mackenzie McDonald upset third seed Roberto Bautista Agut 6-4, 6-4.
Carlos Alcaraz’s coach admits ‘working with Zverev was not easy’
Alexander Zverev is reportedly not the easiest man to work with.
Iga Swiatek has surprised even her coach with 2022 progress
Iga Swiatek looks poised to be even better in 2023.
Emma Raducanu’s quest to toughen up is on track – Tim Henman
Emma Raducanu is working on her toughness.
ATP top 10 prize-money earners in 2022: Novak Djokovic leads the way as Nick Kyrgios cracks top 10
Your ATP top 10 prize-money earners in 2022.
Rafael Nadal confirms one event that he will skip in 2023 as cool images emerge from exhibition match
Rafael Nadal won’t defend one of his titles in 2023.
Bianca Andreescu finally ‘in tune with herself’ and hopes to use tennis ‘to help inspire others’
Bianca Andreescu feeling the love on and off the court.
Canada worthy Davis Cup winners as lucky losers, wildcards and substitutes all part of tennis history
Oh, Canada! Enjoy your Davis Cup win.
Ashleigh Barty ‘honoured’ as she battles Nick Kyrgios for prestigious Australian tennis award
Who is your Australian tennis player of the year?
Rafael Nadal says Big Three rivalry with Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic key to their longevity
Rafael Nadal says Big Three rivalry has taken them to “extreme mental and tennis levels”.
Judy Murray the latest to be accused of accepting ‘sportswashing role in Saudi Arabia’
Judy Murray urged “to use the opportunity to speak out and show solidarity”.