Nick Kyrgios: Australian maverick set for Sunshine Double after receiving Indian Wells and Miami wildcards

Nick Kyrgios will make his return to tennis this week after being handed a wildcard entry for the BNP Paribas Open while he will also compete at the Miami Open.
The Australian has not played competitive tennis since winning the Australian Open men’s doubles alongside compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis at the end of January while his last singles match was a second-round defeat to Daniil Medvedev at the season-opening Grand Slam.
However, the world No 137 will be in action at the upcoming ATP Masters 1000 double after receiving wildcards for the Indian Wells Open and Miami Open.
Kyrgios did not feature in either event last year as he played a reduced schedule due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The former world No 13 reached the quarter-final at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in 2017 while he is a two-time semi-finalist in Miami.
The 26-year-old has already made his way to California for the first leg of the Sunshine Double and was seen practising with four-time Grand Slam winner Naomi Osaka in Indian Wells.
Mixed doubles at #AO2023?
📸: @NickKyrgios x @naomiosaka 📍 LA#AusOpen pic.twitter.com/JNbeJPKWHz
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) March 3, 2022
“Quick LA session with Naomi Osaka,” Kyrgios said.
“Analysing my serve to find any small detail… Her hunger to learn was pretty epic to see from a champ like her.”
Latest
-
Tennis News
John McEnroe reveals how Iga Swiatek and Serena Williams are alike
Will Iga Swiatek become the sixth women to claim ten or more Grand Slams in the open era?
-
Wimbledon
Naomi Osaka considers skipping pointless Wimbledon
The former world number one says she is ‘leaning more towards not playing’.
-
French Open
French Open: Iga Swiatek extends streak to 29, Naomi Osaka bows out
World No 1 Iga Swiatek is looking forward to some sightseeing after dispatching Lesia Tsurenko in short order.
-
Live Tennis
Tennis365’s live scores and results centre: Follow the French Open here
Aaaaand it’s live! Follow the action from Roland Garros…
-
French Open
Goran Ivanisevic insists Novak Djokovic isn’t Roland Garros favourite
Goran Ivanisevic says as long as Rafael Nadal is in the French Open field there can be no other favourite.
-
French Open
French Open: Dominic Thiem feels ‘pretty far away from a win’ after exit
The former world number three, a finalist at Roland Garros in 2018 and 2019, bowed out in straight sets.
-
French Open
Carlos Alcaraz proofs French Open title credentials with dominant first-round victory
Carlos Alcaraz powers into the second round at Roland Garros.
-
French Open
Alexander Zverev keeps French Open match short and sweet, but hopes to go from stable to winning titles
“I’m always somebody that likes to win, rather than be stable,” says Zverev.
-
Wimbledon
Cameron Norrie says Wimbledon will be ‘like an exhibition’ as he warns a few top players might not play
British No 1 has his say on consequences following decision to strip Wimbledon of ranking points.
-
Wimbledon
Wimbledon news: Former US Open champion says decision to strip major of ranking points ‘the correct one’
Sloane Stephens shares views on controversial move.