Novak Djokovic condems Wimbledon’s ‘lose-lose’ decision
World number one Novak Djokovic slammed Wimbledon’s decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players but hauled the ATP and WTA Tours’ decision to strip the Championship of its ranking points.
Djokovic added how he would still defend the title he won for the sixth time last year, even though he would lose the 2000 ranking points gained in the victory.
This comes after Naomi Osaka, the four-time Grand Slam winner, suggested Wimbledon should become an exhibition event since no ranking points are on offer.
The ATP and WTA confirmed last week that Wimbledon would be stripped of its ranking points due to their stance not to allow Russian and Belarusian players to compete.
Speaking to the media after his first-round win over Yoshihito Nishioka at the French Open, Djokovic suggested there are no winners in the situation.
“On a personal level of course, without getting a chance to play and defend my 4,000 points from Australia and Wimbledon, I will drop them this year,” Djokovic said.
“On a personal, individual level I am very negatively affected by that. Collectively I am glad that players got together and showed to the Grand Slam that when there is a mistake happening we have to show there will be some consequences.
“I think it [Wimbledon’s ban] was a wrong decision. I don’t support that at all. But at these times it is a sensitive subject and whatever you decide will create a lot of conflict.”
It’s great to be back 😃 #RolandGarros
📸: Adam Pretty pic.twitter.com/67xrf2MuOu
— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) May 24, 2022
Whilst the All England Lawn Tennis Club maintained it was their only option, Djokovic maintained he will look to defend the title even though the added motivation of ranking points no longer exist.
“It’s a very unique and weird situation but a Grand Slam is a Grand Slam,” Djokovic added.
“Wimbledon has always been my dream since I was a kid. I don’t look at it through the lens of points or prize money but there has to be some standards with some mutual respect.
“This is one of these kinds of decisions where there will always be someone who will suffer more. It is a lose-lose situation.”
Jodie Burrage adding to the momentum behind Brits ahead of Wimbledon
Burrage’s journey, not only on grass courts but on tour as a whole, has not been smooth sailing.
Exclusive – Rumours over Emma Raducanu’s Wimbledon withdrawal as John Lloyd gives his verdict
US Open champion Raducanu has not played since withdrawing from the Rothesay Open Nottingham with the injury that continues to trouble her.
Wimbledon: Jack Draper feels ‘ready to be dangerous’ following last four run in Eastbourne
Draper was beaten in the Eastbourne semi-finals by Maxime Cressy on Friday.
Emma Raducanu can rise above the pressure and deliver at Wimbledon
The 19-year-old sparked more fears around her fitness by pulling out of a practice session on Friday.
Eastbourne: Jack Draper misses out on maiden ATP final
Cressy continued his conquering of the British players to edge through 7-6 (5) 6-7 (2) 6-3.
Ukraine grateful to Wimbledon for its decision to ban Russian players
The Ukrainian teenager says she has been “constantly disappointed” at the reaction of tennis since Russia’s invasion.
Rafael Nadal making the most of every minute on grass
Rafael Nadal is upbeat ahead of Wimbledon.
Emma Raducanu’s agent defends teen star’s work schedule
Emma Raducanu’s agent Max Eisenbud insists the young star’s off-court commitments have not impacted her performance at all.
Emma Raducanu should limit off-court obligations according to former prodigy
Pam Shriver says she doesn’t expect much from Emma Raducanu at Wimbledon.
Andy Murray says ‘I still believe I can win Wimbledon’ and working hard to ‘achieve that goal’
Andy Murray believes he can win a third Wimbledon title.