Novak Djokovic’s Indian Wells and Miami hopes shattered, but set to make US Open return
Novak Djokovic won’t feature at the Sunshine Double for the second year in a row after it was confirmed that the United States’ Covid-19 restrictions will remain in place until May.
The 22-time Grand Slam winner was unable to compete at the Indian Wells Open and Miami Open in March last year as well as the North American hard-court swing, which includes the US Open, in August and September due to Covid-19 regulations.
Directives stated that unvaccinated foreign nationals were not allowed to enter either the United States or Canada.
After making his return to Australia this year following his deportation from the country in 2023 over his unvaccinated status, there were high hopes that he would be able to compete in the US swing in March.
“You know my position, so it is what it is. I’m hoping (to play), but if I can’t go, I can’t go,” he said in early January.
Indian Wells Open Tournament Director Tommy Haas also stated organisers were doing everything they can to help Djokovic to compete at the event.
“It would be nice to see if we could maybe lift those a little earlier and have him come to play Indian Wells and Miami. I think he wants to play, so we should give him the chance. Hopefully we can have him there,” he said.
“I mean, it would be a disgrace in my eyes if he wasn’t coming to these events, or not allowed to come.”
However, United States President Joe Biden confirmed on Monday that the current Covid-19 emergency declarations have been extended and will only be lifted on May 11.
Although the lifting of the regulations won’t come in time for the Sunshine Double, it will see him make a return to the United States later in the year.
Last year he missed the Cincinnati Masters and the US Open due to the travel regulations, but he is set to compete at Flushing Meadows this year.
Djokovic made the most of his return to Australia as he won the Adelaide International 1 and followed it up by winning a 10th Australian Open title to move to 22 Grand Slams and tie Rafael Nadal in the race for most majors won by a male player.
His three-set win over Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final at Melbourne Park also saw him return to the top of the ATP Rankings for a seventh stint as world No 1.
READ MORE: How Novak Djokovic will end the GOAT debate once and for all
Juan Martin del Potro to attempt another comeback ahead of ‘special tournament’?
Juan Martin del Potro is leaving the door open for a comeback.
Where will Rafael Nadal play his final match? Uncle Toni Nadal plays Nostradamus
Toni Nadal gets his crystal ball out to predict where Rafael Nadal might play his last match.
Aryna Sabalenka gives injury update while ‘fresh’ Bianca Andreescu enjoys ‘sweet’ victories
Aryna Sabalenka and Barbora Krejcikova set for a third meeting in the space of a month.
WATCH: Carlos Alcaraz hammers Dusan Lajovic, suffers writer’s block, meets NBA star Jimmy Butler
All in a day’s work for Carlos Alcaraz.
Holger Rune thrilled to get off the scorching Hard Rock Stadium court
Holger Rune was happy to get out of the Miami heat.
On this day: Kim Clijsters announces return to tennis
Clijsters made her Grand Slam comeback at the US Open and went on to lift the trophy.
WATCH: Novak Djokovic hits the clay ahead of Monte Carlo return
Check out Novak Djokovic training on clay.
WATCH: Jelena Ostapenko calls out ‘disrespectful’ crowd
Jelena Ostapenko claimed it was like a football match.
Cameron Norrie refuses to blame injury for Miami Open exit
Cameron Norrie required treatment for an ankle injury.
Hubert Hurkacz comes through epic battle with Thanasi Kokkinakis
Hubert Hurkacz won a match that stands as the longest three-setter of the season to date.