Paris Masters to go ahead, but no fans will be allowed following latest lockdown in France
The 2020 Paris Masters will go ahead as scheduled next week despite the French government’s decision to place the country under a second national lockdown due to the coronavirus.
A second wave of Covid-19 infections has hit the European country and French President Emmanuel Macron announced earlier this week that the new lockdown would start on 30 October and run until 1 December at a “minimum”.
However, the country’s Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu has confirmed that professional sport would receive an exemption.
“Top athletes and professional athletes will be able to continue training. And they will also be able to continue to compete since travel for professional reasons is allowed,” she said.
It means the Paris Masters will still take place at Accord Arena from 2-8 November, but the French Tennis Federation has confirmed that no spectators will be allowed to attend the event.
— Lukas Lacko (@lukilacko) October 28, 2020
“Ever since the start of the health crisis, the French Tennis Federation has worked in constant liaison with the French government to define the organisation options permitted by the prevailing situation,” a statement read.
“Consequently, the FFT has made the responsible decision to hold the Rolex Paris Masters tournament behind closed doors.
“The FFT is aware of the disappointment people will feel at not being able to attend the tournament but would like to thank everyone for their understanding and reassure them that their tickets will be refunded as soon as possible.”
Jamie Murray says quarantine threat on tour means players must be ready to adapt
The doubles specialist plans to travel to tournaments in Mexico and Miami next month without knowing what to expect on arrival.
Battle of the Brits event is back and this time with spectators
The Battle of the Brits events were a huge success during the Covid-19 crisis and now they are set to return with spectators.
The only way is up for Naomi Osaka as she looks to replicate hard-court success on clay and grass
Oli Jefford on the world being Naomi Osaka’s oyster.
Britain’s strength in depth in doubles highlights quality of structure
British tennis may be wondering who can replace Andy Murray, but they have a very different story to tell in the doubles arena.
Rafael Nadal pulls out of his next event due to ‘ongoing’ back problem
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the ABN…
Lleyton Hewitt to be inducted into International Tennis Hall Of Fame
Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt is the latest player who will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Five of the best men’s matches at the Australian Open featuring Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Rafael Nadal, and more
The matches that made us sit up and take note.
Five of the best women’s matches at Australian Open featuring Naomi Osaka vs Garbine Muguruza, and more
Five of the best women’s singles matches at the 2021 Aus Open.
Ashleigh Barty laments giving away control to Danielle Collins as she suffers defeat in Adelaide
Early exit for defending champion Ashleigh Barty.
Toni Nadal believes the pressure got to Daniil Medvedev in the Australian Open final
Daniil Medvedev felt the heat.