Rafael Nadal ‘giving himself every chance to take part in tournament he is so fond of’
Rafael Nadal remains on course to make his return from injury in April as he is determined to be fit for one of his favourite tournaments.
The 22-time Grand Slam winner has not played competitive tennis since picking up a left hip flexor injury during his second-round defeat at the Australian Open in mid-January.
He had initially hoped to make his comeback at this week’s Indian Wells Open or next week’s Miami Open, but he withdrew from both tournaments saying he only wants to return when he is 100% fit.
The tennis great has traditionally kicked off his clay-court season at the Monte Carlo Masters and he looks set to return this year as he has been confirmed for the 2023 edition in the Principality.
Tournament Director David Massey says the former world No 1 is determined to play at the ATP Masters 1000 event, which runs from April 10-16.
“Rafa was the first [player] to be registered,” he said. “He really wants to play at the Monte Carlo Masters and is giving himself every chance to take part in the tournament he’s so fond of.”
The Spaniard, an 11-time winner in Monte Carlo with his last title coming in 2018, also missed last year’s tournament as he was recovering from a rib injury he sustained at the Indian Wells Open while he was beaten in the quarter-final in 2021.
The 36-year-old, though, has returned to training after his latest setback but he admitted in recent weeks that the hip injury was a lot more serious than initially thought.
“I haven’t talked much since what happened in Australia, but in Australia I had a big, big breakdown,” he said.
“It was a very big tear in the muscle, I tore a little bit of the tendon. It is a very complicated place in the psoas, in all sports, but in tennis we get strength from there, so it is a slower recovery than we would like.
“We have no choice but to be a little patient; it is true that the calendar is passing and that I am no longer 20 years old, and after a year like the one I’ve been having, one gets tired, but I do what I can.”
Besides Nadal, the 2023 Monte Carlo Masters entry list also features all the players in the top 10 of the ATP Rankings with world No 1 Novak Djokovic, reigning US Open champion Carlos Alcaraz and two-time defending champion Stefanos Tsitsipas the headline acts.
Teen sensation Joao Fonseca set for phenomenal 314-place leap in ATP Rankings – ‘I’m living a dream’
Milestones and rankings breakthrough for Joao Fonseca.
‘My tennis inspiration is Novak Djokovic. Because of him, I started to play tennis’
Jakub Mensik names Novak Djokovic his “biggest idol” adding that he “wouldn’t be here” if it wasn’t for Djokovic.
Rafael Nadal set to skip ATP Masters event, but Netflix Slam match against Carlos Alcaraz gets green light
There will be no Miami Open farewell for Rafael Nadal.
Rafael Nadal’s 2024 tennis schedule takes shape with tennis great set to focus on clay-court season
Which tournaments are likely to feature on Rafael Nadal’s 2024 tennis schedule?
Iga Swiatek doesn’t have another epic winning streak on her mind
Iga Swiatek is committed to taking things match by match.
Andy Roddick backs Coco Gauff after bizarre Dubai umpire row
Andy Roddick believes that chair umpire Pierre Bacchi was “completely wrong” in the incident involving Coco Gauff.
Dasha Medvedeva makes honest confession about being married to Daniil Medvedev
Dasha Medvedeva has spoken about what it has been like becoming a parent alongside ATP Tour star Daniil Medvedev.
Staggering price charged by Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz for private sessions revealed
Fans will have to pay a six-figure sum for a private session with the Spanish icons in Las Vegas.
Emma Raducanu reveals her biggest investment as a tennis player
Emma Raducanu has opened up on what it really takes to be a WTA Tour professional.
Emma Raducanu lifts the lid on her daily routine from skincare to mental health
What goes into a day for Emma Raducanu?