Rafael Nadal withdraws from Cincinnati Masters to delay highly anticipated ‘big four’ reunion
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Masters this week, but there is no injury for fans to worry about.
Nadal won the Rogers Cup on Sunday to claim his 35th Masters title, setting a new record in the process, but he will not be adding to that count in Cincinnati.
After his impressive 6-3, 6-0 win over Daniil Medvedev in Montreal, Nadal said that scheduling concerns lay behind his decision.
“I am very sorry to announce that I won’t be playing in Cincinnati this year,” Nadal posted on Facebook.
“No other reason than personally taking care of my body and trying to keep as healthy as I feel now.”
Nadal said he has spoken to Cincinnati tournament director Andre Silva, whom he said understood his decision.
“I’m sure the tournament will be a success and I wish him and his team all the best,” Nadal added.
The tournament looked like being the first time in years that the ‘big four’ of Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Andy Murray would be united.
However, Nadal’s decision means that his spot will go to a lucky loser instead, with the US Open, should Murray decide to play it, likely to see those four in the same singles card instead.
Stefanos Tsitsipas praises ‘great champion’ Novak Djokovic: ‘He’s like a Formula 1 car’
Stefanos Tsitsipas lavish in his praise of Novak Djokovic.
Carlos Alcaraz on his big goal: ‘I am clear about my dream, which is to be No 1 in the world’
Carlos Alcaraz dreams of becoming world No 1 and he’s not shy of saying it in public.
Emma Raducanu on rotating coaches: ‘People might look at me like I’m crazy but I trust my decision-making’
Emma Raducanu trusting her own process.
WTA calendar update: Guadalajara to host WTA 1000 event as China remains absent from schedule
Changes to the 2022 WTA calendar.
Iga Swiatek hailed as ‘the boss’ as French Open chief Amelie Mauresmo praises ‘new era’ in women’s tennis
Iga Swiatek steering women’s tennis into a new era.
French Open news: Home hopes dented with Gael Monfils withdrawal
French No 1 Gael Monfils has withdrawn from the Lyon Open and Roland Garros.
ATP finally make a decision on Queen’s and Eastbourne – but Wimbledon are still waiting
Russian and Belarusian players were last month banned from competing at Wimbledon.
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga’s Lyon farewell ends in heartbreaking first round loss
It ends early for Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Lyon.
Daniil Medvedev seeks time on court ahead of French Open
Geneva holds great importance for Daniil Medvedev’s hopes of a French Open triumph.
Iga Swiatek is setting example for mental health focus psychologist feels
Psychologist Daria Abramowicz travels with Iga Swiatek as a key part of her support team.