Roger Federer admits it is “unfortunate” that this year’s Laver Cup had to be postponed, but concedes “it’s the right thing to do for everyone concerned”.
The tennis schedule has been thrown into disarray due to the coronavirus pandemic with the powers that be opting to suspend all competitive tennis until July 13.
Typically it would have meant that both the clay-court and grass-court seasons were cancelled, but Roland Garros officials jumped the gun and announced the French Open would move from its original May 24-June 7 slot to September 20-October 4.
It clashed with the 2020 Laver Cup as Boston was due to host the team tournament from September 24-26.
However, Laver Cup orgaisers on Friday confirmed that their event had been postponed until September 2021.
Federer, who co-created the tournament, expressed his disappointment.
“It’s unfortunate that the Laver Cup has to be pushed back a year, but at this stage it’s the right thing to do for everyone concerned,” the 20-time Grand Slam winner said.
“Although disappointing, the good news is that TD Garden will still be able to host the event next year and I really look forward to finally playing in Boston for the first time at Laver Cup 2021.”
Can you believe it is 32 years since Graf’s 6-0, 6-0 win?
Coco Gauff calls for change.
Giudicelli is adamant that Roland Garros 2020 will go ahead.
Pat Cash on the GOAT debate.
‘I don’t think it’ll be easy,’ says Ana Ivanovic.
Karolina Pliskova okay with playing without fans.
Tsitsipas insists he has what it takes to win a major.
Flushing Meadows to host back-to-back tournaments?
Spaniard was lasting improvements.