Rafael Nadal has refused to blame his shock ATP Finals defeat to Alexander Zverev on injury.
The world number one was forced to withdraw from the Paris Masters earlier this month with an abdominal issue, and left it as late as possible before committing to the O2 showpiece.
His campaign got off to a rocky start though, as he lost in straight sets to an inspired Zverev – ad Nadal was not wanting to take anything away from the German.
“It was not a problem with the abdominal (injury) at all,” Nadal told reporters in his press conference. “I did not feel pain.
“No, just Sascha, well played, and me, bad played, honestly. We can find reasons or excuses, but at the end of the day, what all really matters is I need to play much better in two days.
“We knew that it was going to be tough at beginning because the period of time since the injury until today is very short, but we are here trying, and that’s it.
“I was happy with the way that the abdominal held, and hopefully I can continue like this, because it’s true that I was not able to create a lot of practice and a lot of effort on that part of the body since last Saturday.
“So is a positive thing that I played the whole match today. Hopefully I can keep going, and hopefully I can practice a little bit more tomorrow.
“The only excuse is I was not good enough tonight.”
29-year-old looking at bigger picture.
Spaniard wants rival’s crown.
Serb to split his coaches.
Dane to call it a day in Australia.
What’s going on in tennis today?
‘When they play their best tennis, Novak wins…’
German a long way off winning, says Pat.
Young players can make the top, says Chang.
Federer’s popularity still going strong!
End is close for 31-year-old.