Alexander Zverev suffers injury scare ahead of Australian Open

Australian Open
Alexander Zverev disappointed

Alexander Zverev’s preparations for the Australian Open suffered a blow as he withdrew from the World Tennis Challenge due to an injury scare.

The world No 4, who competed in the Hopman Cup last week, was due to take on Borna Coric in the Adelaide exhibition event on Monday evening, but withdrew a few hours before the match.

The German told fans he pulled a hamstring during practice and has been advised to rest ahead of the first Grand Slam of the year at Melbourne Park.

“We are sad that Zverev has withdrawn from the World Tennis Challenge,” World Tennis Challenge general manager David Hearne said.

“We know that he was excited to play in Adelaide and (Fernando) Verdasco will now replace him tonight.”

The Australian Open gets underway on Monday January 14.


More from Tennis365:

Latest