Australian Open chief hopeful event will go ahead, but players, fans and staff health ‘a priority’
The first Grand Slam of the 2020 season is just around the corner and Australian Open officials are optimistic that the tournament will go ahead as planned despite the devastating bushfires in the country.
The fires have been burning out of control in several Australian states since September and 20 people have been killed so far, hundreds of families have lost their homes and millions of animals have died.
Skies have been filled with smoke for several weeks and the air quality has been labelled “very poor” and “hazardous” with Melbourne’s index rising to above 210 on Sunday.
ATP Player Council President Novak Djokovic had admitted that they “have to consider” postponing the Australian Open due to the fires, but also added it’s “probably the very, very last option”.
Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley says for now the season-opening Grand Slam is going ahead as planned, but says they are continuously monitoring the air quality.
“We have committed substantial extra resources to analysis, monitoring and logistics to ensure the health and safety of all players, staff and fans throughout the summer and have no other plans to move events [having cancelled a Challenger in Canberra],” said.
“Assessing the likelihood of smoke-induced interruptions is a bit like how we treat heat and rain. We have experts who analyse all available live data as specific to our sites as possible and consult regularly with tournament officials and, in the case of heat and smoke, medical experts.
“We have access to real-time monitoring of air quality at all of our venues and are working closely with medical personnel and local experts onsite to ensure we have the best possible information available to make any decisions regarding whether play should be halted at any point.
“The health of players, fans and staff is a priority at all times and we will continue to make these decisions with that in mind. The smoke has proven intermittently problematic in some areas. The worst affected so far has been in Canberra and after consultation with medical, air and weather experts we made a decision to move our event to Bendigo.”
Dan Evans eyes ‘a few more wins’ at Queen’s Club after ending his long wait for a win
It was the British No 1’s first win at the venue since 2014.
Gary Neville unimpressed by double standards that will allow bigger Wimbledon crowds
Decision to allow increased capacity at Wimbledon sparked claims of double standards.
‘Fresh, clever, calm’ Novak Djokovic favourite to win Wimbledon and US Open, according to Mats Wilander
Novak Djokovic “looks scary good and motivated”, says Mats Wilander.
‘My Wimbledon goals are high, they have to be high, or I wouldn’t be playing,’ says Roger Federer
“The season starts around now,” says Roger Federer.
Exclusive – Ex-British No 1 admits Andy Murray is not in control of his own destiny this summer
Andy Murray will return to the scene of some of his greatest triumphs.
Wimbledon finals to be played in front of capacity stadium after change in guidelines
Wimbledon officials are preparing to welcome bigger than expected crowds.
Heather Watson battles past Viktorija Golubic at Birmingham’s Viking Classic
Heather Watson set up a clash against Shuai Zhang.
Jack Draper beats Jannik Sinner at Queen’s to secure first ATP Tour singles win
Jack Draper won two tie-breaks to beat Jannik Sinner
All England Club to provide final decision on Wimbledon crowd capacity and Covid-19 protocols soon
Discussions are continuing over Wimbledon crowds.
Exclusive – Judy Murray on how the game’s ‘Big Four’ are still ahead of the pack
“They all have an incredible love of the game,” says Judy Murray.