Australian Open drama as player reveals he was allowed to board flight despite positive COVID-19 test
American tennis player Tennys Sandgren claims he was allowed to board a charter flight to Melbourne for the Australian Open despite testing positive for the coronavirus.
The state of Victoria has imposed “the strongest, the strictest rules” for tennis players ahead of the 2021 season-opening Grand Slam as players, officials and support staff will arrive via 15 chartered flights over the next few days.
Players had to be tested before they boarded the flights and Sandgren claimed that he had returned a positive result earlier in the week.
He initially suggested in a tweet that he was unlikely to travel, but “Atleast I get to keep my points”.
Covid positive over thanksgiving
Covid positive on monday
Yet pcr tests are the “gold standard”?
Atleast I get to keep my points 😂
— Tennys Sandgren (@TennysSandgren) January 13, 2021
However, after several more tweets he confirmed that he is “on the plane” and headed to Melbourne, before declaring Tennis Australia and Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley “a wizard”.
Wow I’m on the plane
Maybe I just held my breath too long..
Craig Tiley is a wizard
— Tennys Sandgren (@TennysSandgren) January 14, 2021
Australian Open officials later released a press statement to explain the reasoning behind the decision to allow Sandgren to board the flight.
More information on #AusOpen COVID-19 protocols.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 14, 2021
“Anyone waiting to travel to the AO who has previously tested positive to COVID-19 is required to provide additional and highly detailed medical information as proof they are a recovered case and no longer infectious or a risk to the community,” the statement said.
“In the case of Tennys Sandgren, who has self-disclosed that he previously tested positive in late November, his medical file had to reviewed by Victorian health authorities. Upon completion of that review he was cleared to fly.”
World No 50 Sandgren is set to make his fourth main draw appearance at the Australian Open. He reached the quarter-final in 2020, losing in five sets against Roger Federer after failing to convert seven match points.
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.
More coronavirus cases linked to arrivals for Australian Open
Australian Open boss said the safety of the Victorian community will not be compromised.
Big boost for LTA’s innovation drive as it signs deal with UK distributor of the Slinger Bag
LTA signs deal with Framework Sports & Marketing Ltd.
Australian Open chief defends Novak Djokovic over quarantine note, saying ‘they were suggestions’
Craig Tiley jumps to Novak Djokovic’s defence.
Quarantine remains in place for 72 players ahead of Australian Open
Two Covid-19 cases have been deemed viral shedding.
EXCLUSIVE – British Davis Cup captain Leon Smith recalls sitting next to Judy Murray as her son won Wimbledon
We talk to Leon Smith about his coaching journey.
Australian Open tension boiling over as players, pundits, ex-pros, fans involved in social media spats
It’s all kicking off on social media.
Roberto Bautista Agut slams quarantine restrictions saying ‘it’s like being in jail, but with WiFi’
“These people have no idea,” says Roberto Bautista Agut.