Australian Open news: Andrey Rublev clarifies comments on positive Covid test
Andrey Rublev has moved to clarify his comments confirming he arrived in Australia while still testing positive for Covid-19.
On the back of Novak Djokovic’s deportation after his visa was revoked by the Australian government due to his unvaccinated status, Rublev’s comments that he arrived in Australia carrying the coronavirus has caused a stir.
“I am not being tested personally now because I just got over the coronavirus,” Rublev told the Sport Klub.
“When I flew to Australia, I was still positive, but the level of Covid SS, as it is called, I will not lie, it was very low and not dangerous.
“I was allowed to enter the country. In addition, I spent more than ten days in quarantine.”
Those comments have created a debate about whether Rublev should have been allowed to compete at the Australian Open, with Djokovic fans on social media channels especially vocal about the decision following the exit of the world number one.
Now Rublev has issued a statement looking to add some context to his comments.
“I passed my first positive test a few days before the official statement on social networks, which I made because I respect the audience and fans. I think they should know why I wasn’t at the ATP Cup,” he stated.
“I immediately isolated myself. The rules in Spain are very simple – quarantine is 10 days. All this time I didn’t leave the house. I started training a few days before my flight to Australia.
“The team and I flew to Melbourne, observing all protocols. Quarantine was over, vaccinations were delivered. We immediately passed the antigen test. The result was negative. So I could move freely.
“By the way, before Australia, by the end of quarantine, all my antigen tests were also negative. And before the flight t Melbourne, the tests were also negative.
“The Ct level was at around 35. This is not dangerous for others and means that I am not a carrier of the disease. Despite this, I was quarantined for 10 days. All this time I was in touch with doctors, representatives of the tournament. I didn’t break any rules.
“I would never put other people’s lives in danger. I am a person who is responsible for my actions. I am sorry that the published information sometimes loses its meaning, and my previous story turned out to be very crumpled. I hope now I have managed to convey my thoughts correctly.”
Rublev has made good progress at the Australian Open and will take on Marin Cilic in the third round on Saturday.
Timeline of when Carlos Alcaraz could take Novak Djokovic’s No 1 ranking
Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz are ready to battle it out for the prized year-end world No 1 ranking.
Elena Rybakina hits out at WTA over Japan Open draw changes
Elena Rybakina misses out on first roun bye due to WTA experiment.
Novak Djokovic and Coco Gauff’s US Open prize money sparks fresh equal pay debate
Novak Djokovic was paid $2,730 per minute for his record-breaking 24th Grand Slam title at the US Open earlier this month.
Maria Sakkari reveals how tearful US Open exit became an inspiration
Maria Sakkari says that the love and support she received from fans and even colleagues after her US Open exit helped inspire her.
WATCH: Intense Felix Auger-Aliassime brushes off Laver Cup spat with Gael Monfils
Felix Auger-Aliassime and Gael Monfils shared some heated moments after the Canadian complained to the umpire during their Laver Cup clash.
More questions for Andy Murray to answer after another agonising defeat
Andy Murray blew an early lead as he crashed to defeat against Aslan Karatsev in the last 16.
Roger Federer reveals what he misses about tennis as Rafael Nadal surprises him
Speaking in an interview with former world No 1 Jim Courier at the Laver Cup, the 20-time Grand Slam champion reflected on how his life chan
Top coach spotted Coco Gauff’s potential very early on
Patrick Mouratoglou has revealed that Coco Gauff left a big impression on him during their first meeting.