Australian Open tournament director insists 2020 event won’t be moved away from Melbourne Park
Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley says “heaven and earth will be moved” to ensure that Melbourne Park stages the 2020 season-opening Grand Slam.
Tennis is to resume in August following a five-month hiatus due to the coronavirus with two majors set to take place once the sport is up and running again.
The US Open will become the first Grand Slam to be staged without fans with Flushing Meadows hosting the hard-court major from August 31 to September 13 while the French Open will have “up to 60%” fans from September 20 to October 4.
However, there remain major question marks over both tournaments due to the recent spike in Covid-19 cases in the United States and the travel restrictions that players face.
Australia itself has had a surge in coronavirus cases with Victoria, in particular a concern, for authorities.
The New South Wales government has reportedly offered to stage the 2020 Australian Open, but their Victoria counterparts declined the offer and Tiley is also not interested.
“It hasn’t even crossed my mind,” he told The Age.
“Heaven and earth will be moved to make it work in Melbourne. I don’t see any scenario possible where the Australian Open would move.”
He added: “Melbourne Park itself is a massive quarantine opportunity for us.
“The whole network and the whole hub being put next to the city, you can actually create a bubble over Melbourne Park to make it extremely safe. It will be world-leading.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Andy Murray rules out any possibility of playing in Saudi Arabia
He won’t be making the trip to the country anytime soon.
Rafael Nadal gives positive fitness update ahead of Wimbledon: ‘I can walk normally most of the days’
The Spaniard has been battling a chronic foot problem.
Exclusive: ‘Novak Djokovic has been treated badly,’ says John Lloyd, but ‘love will come out’ after he retires
John Lloyd feels people will start to “go crazy” for Novak Djokovic once he retires.
Andy Murray says he ‘still has good tennis left’ and confident Ivan Lendl will help him to achieve his goals
Ivan Lendl has returned for a third spell coaching Murray.
Exclusive – Tim Henman’s prediction as Serena Williams returns at Wimbledon
Williams will have to wait until Tuesday to play her first singles match in 12 months after she limped out of Wimbledon last year.
Exclusive – Emma Raducanu set for Centre Court debut as John Lloyd makes bold Andy Murray prediction
Emma Raduanu will make her Wimbledon Centre Court debut against Alison Van Uytvanck.
Petra Kvitova sounds Wimbledon warning with Eastbourne title win
Kvitova controlled a one-sided encounter from the outset en route to triumphing 6-3 6-2.
Serena Williams on working vacation at All England Club
The 40-year-old is playing in her first singles tournament for a year.
‘Fearless’ Jodie Burrage wants to show what she can do at Wimbledon
The British number five, who has a flat in SW19, will break into the world’s top 150 on Monday.
Wimbledon’s Centre Court scheduling still skewed to favour men
The All England Club is celebrating 100 years of its main show court in 2022.