No problems for Nadal and Kyrgios
World No 1 Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios had no problems on the opening day at the Australian Open.
Top seed and 2009 champion Nadal overwhelmed world No 79 Victor Estrella Burgos 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 in one hour and 34 minutes on Rod Laver Arena on Monday, while Kyrgios beat Rogerio Dutra Silva 6-1, 6-2, 6-4.
It was a walk in the park for Nadal as the 37-year-old Burgos from the Dominican Republic was simply not able to keep up with his power and ground strokes.
“I’m very happy to be back, it’s a very important beginning for me. It’s good news for me,” the Spaniard, who will face Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer next, said.
“I want to enjoy every moment I’m here on this court.”
Long may we see @RafaelNadal on Rod Laver Arena!
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 15, 2018
Of course, Nadal has gone back to his sleeveless outfit for this tournament.
— José Morgado (@josemorgado) January 15, 2018
Australian Kyrgios came into the first Grand Slam high on confidence after winning the Brisbane International and he continued that fine form as he needed only 84 minutes to dispatch of Brazil’s Silva.
“I was very nervous coming out here, first match at the Australian Open,” the 11th seed, who will take on, Serbia’s Viktor Troicki next, said.
“I didn’t think I played as well as Brisbane but hopefully I continue to improve and find my feet out here.
“A couple of years ago I made the quarter-finals here and I’m just trying to emulate that and maybe go a little bit further.”
Kyrgios, though, is never far from controversy.
— Eurosport UK (@Eurosport_UK) January 15, 2018
Meanwhile, eighth seed Jack Sock of America suffered a shock 6-1, 7-6, (7-4) 5-7, 6-3 defeat at the hands of world number 41 Yuichi Sugita. Sock was one of 10 American players, male and female, to lose on the opening day at Melbourne Park.
However, 2014 US Open champion Marin Cilic had no problems as he beat Canadian qualifier Vasek Pospisil 6-2, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) while 10th seed Pablo Carreño Busta saw off Jason Kubler 7-5, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1.
French Open: Dominic Thiem feels ‘pretty far away from a win’ after exit
The former world number three, a finalist at Roland Garros in 2018 and 2019, bowed out in straight sets.
Carlos Alcaraz proofs French Open title credentials with dominant first-round victory
Carlos Alcaraz powers into the second round at Roland Garros.
Alexander Zverev keeps French Open match short and sweet, but hopes to go from stable to winning titles
“I’m always somebody that likes to win, rather than be stable,” says Zverev.
Cameron Norrie says Wimbledon will be ‘like an exhibition’ as he warns a few top players might not play
British No 1 has his say on consequences following decision to strip Wimbledon of ranking points.
Wimbledon news: Former US Open champion says decision to strip major of ranking points ‘the correct one’
Sloane Stephens shares views on controversial move.
Carlos Alcaraz news: Top players to suffer if they’re to beat Spaniard at Roland Garros
He’s been unstoppable this season.
Red-hot Ons Jabeur stunned in opener at Roland Garros by world No 52 Magda Linette
Ons Jabeur stunned in Roland Garros opener.
Birthday boy Novak Djokovic looking to reset in the summer of ’22
Novak Djokovic is 35 today. This summer might just see him return to the top of his game after losing himself at the turn of the year.
Rafael Nadal plays down Roland Garros favourite tag as ‘there are players that are in better shape’
Rafael Nadal cautiously optimistic ahead of Roland Garros.
Emma Raducanu news: John McEnroe doubtful Brit can go far in French Open
She has had a lot of injuries so far this season.