Quarantine plan revealed for the game’s top players ahead of Australian Open
The world’s leading players will quarantine in Adelaide rather than Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open before taking part in exhibition matches.
Tournament director Craig Tiley revealed the latest part of the plan as organisers continue to try to put the pieces of a complicated puzzle together.
Next week will see 1,270 people brought to Australia on 18 charter flights from seven different cities. They will then complete a two-week period of quarantine, with players allowed out of their rooms for five hours a day to train.
It had been expected everyone would quarantine in Melbourne but the top three men and women will instead travel to South Australia.
Tiley told Tennis Channel: “We’re right up to the edge on the numbers of people we’re allowed to quarantine in Melbourne so we needed some relief, so we approached the South Australia government about the possibility of them quarantining at least 50 people.
“But they wouldn’t have any interest in doing it because there’s no benefit to them to put their whole community at risk. But it would be a benefit if there was an exhibition just before Melbourne.
“The premier there agreed to host 50 people in a quarantine bubble and have those players play in exhibitions. So we chose the top three men and top three women, and they’ll play an exhibition on January 29 and 30.”
Adelaide regained a WTA and ATP event last year but this year all the Australian Open warm-up tournaments will be held in Melbourne.
An exhibition featuring the likes of Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Naomi Osaka and Simona Halep is therefore significant compensation.
Tiley and his team have had to deal with a number of obstacles in recent days, including a hotel in Melbourne pulling out of a quarantine arrangement after objections from penthouse owners, and he is expecting more bumps in the road.
“We know we’re going to have a lot more challenges but the bottom line is we are going to do the best we can to deliver an Australian Open that is close to what it was in 2020,” he said.
“We all feel buoyed and confident about what we can pull off during a pandemic.”
Tiley said organisers are still hopeful of being able to host fans up to 75 per cent of capacity.
Rod Laver will not be among them, though. The 82-year-old, whose name adorns Melbourne Park’s biggest court, has decided to stay at home.
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
German legend Boris Becker is backing Alexander Zverev to win his first Grand Slam title in 2021.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
US Open champion Dominic Thiem insists next month’s Australian Open should go ahead despite players being in quarantine.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
Andy Murray is out of next month’s Australian Open here we look at the timeline of Murray’s injury troubles since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin…
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…