Rafael Nadal news: Uncle Toni reveals 20-time major winner came close to pulling out of Australian Open
He is safely into the semi-final of the 2022 Australian Open, but Rafael Nadal nearly didn’t fly to Melbourne to take part in the season-opening Grand Slam.
Having missed the bulk of the second half of the 2021 season due to a foot injury, Nadal made a tentative return at the exhibition Mubadala World Tennis Championship in December.
However, he tested positive for coronavirus following the tournament and there were doubts over whether or not he would travel Down Under.
However, on December 31 he surprised his fans by tweeting that he was already in Melbourne.
🤫 Don’t tell anyone…
… here I am 😉 pic.twitter.com/x1F2BJnH3y
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) December 31, 2021
And he has been enjoying his time in Australia as he won the Melbourne Summer Set 1 tournament and followed it up with a run to the last four of the Australian Open with his semi-final spot coming after a marathon five-set victory over Denis Shapovalov on Tuesday.
Yet his former coach and uncle Toni Nadal says he was on the verge of not playing.
Asked by Cadena SER if he is surprised by the 35-year-old’s form, he replied: “Yes, I’m surprised, because I remember when three days before the start, Rafa called my youngest son to hit a few balls after being quarantined due to coronavirus.
“At nine o’clock, we went to train and during training, he said, ‘I don’t know if I’m going to go or not because at the moment I’m not in condition for an Australian Open’. They only had three days to get a flight.
“The following day, he perked up and said ‘Okay, come on, I’m going’. I think it was more the excitement of competing and returning to competition than believing in himself.”
Wimbledon ranking points decision sparking angry reaction from players
The decision from the ATP and WTA…
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
Wimbledon didn’t want to ‘risk safety of players’ or ‘success being used as propaganda by Russian regime’
Wimbledon has hit back at the ATP and WTA with a statement of their own.
WTA statement as women’s body also strips Wimbledon of ranking points over Russian player ban
WTA also has harsh words for Wimbledon after stripping grass-court major of ranking points.
ATP statement: Wimbledon slammed for ‘undermining integrity of the ATP Ranking system’
ATP unimpressed by Wimbledon.
Wimbledon thrown into chaos as ATP strips Slam of ranking points over Russian and Belarusian player ban
Big, big news as players won’t earn points for competing at Wimbledon.