Roger Federer and Serena Williams set for Australian Open as Craig Tiley confirms ‘six weeks of tennis’ plan
Australian Open Tournament Director and Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley insists the world’s top stars, including Roger Federer and Serena Williams, will all feature at the 2021 hard-court Grand Slam.
There had been doubts about next year’s Australian Open due to the coronavirus pandemic, but Australian Open bosses have made it clear that they are exploring different scenarios to ensure the tournament goes ahead.
And Tiley has confirmed that they are all but certain the event will go ahead next year and the biggest names in the game will play.
“Roger this morning just confirmed publicly, Roger Federer, that he’ll be here,” he told Nine’s Wide World Of Sports.
“Serena Williams will be here, obviously trying to get Margaret Court’s record. We’re excited about the players that will be here and about what we’ll put on.”
This year’s US Open was played without fans while French Open organisers have allowed a handful of spectators and Tiley says one of the scenarios they are exploring is to allow between 25 and 50 per cent of the spectators who attended past events to watch next year’s Australian Open.
He also confirmed players will start arriving Down Under from December and they will need to undergo two weeks of quarantine before taking part in “six weeks of tennis”.
“We will [have them] … we’ve been talking to them every single week,” he said.
“In fact, on Friday night, we were on a call with all the women players, going through what it’s going to mean.
“We’re going to have six weeks of tennis. In fact, we’re going to have more tennis, more events than we’ve ever had before.
“We’re going to start around the middle of December, when all the players will come in. There’ll be two weeks of quarantine that they’ll do in cities around Australia and then those two weeks, we’re creating a bubble where they’ll be able to be in it from the hotel to the courts, in a training environment; not dissimilar to what’s happened with the AFL and the NRL.
“Then once they get out of those two weeks, by then, we expect the borders to be completely open. Move from city to city, then come down to Melbourne for the Australian Open in the last two weeks of January.
“There’s going to be more events, more tennis for people to watch across not only Australia, but around the world. Our goal is to continue to get more people watching; we had over a billion people watching in 2020 and we plan on doing the same in 2021.”
‘We will get through this together’ – Wimbledon champion Simona Halep tests positive for Covid-19
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep has confirmed…
LTA chief fears for the future of indoor tennis centres as a second lockdown is set to start imminently
The Lawn Tennis Association is warning that…
Chris Evert picks her three stars who could dominate the game in the post-Serena era
Tennis legend Chris Evert believes three young…
The statistic that confirms Dan Evans has been one of the stars of a bizarre 2020 tennis season
British No.1 Dan Evans is ending 2020…
Novak Djokovic beaten by a lucky loser for the first time as Lorenzo Sonego sets up Dan Evans clash
Djokovic went down in the quarter-finals of the Erste Bank Open.
Top 10 male players with most match wins: Rafael Nadal one win away from 1,000-mark milestone
Your top 10 of players with most match wins…
Novak Djokovic rates Jannik Sinner as future world No 1, saying ‘he possesses game to be next top player’
Novak Djokovic impressed by Jannik Sinner.
Grigor Dimitrov stuns ‘great competitor’ Stefanos Tsitsipas, but admits it was ‘taxing on the body’
Grigor Dimitrov reaches quarter-final in Vienna.
Alexander Zverev confirms he will become a father and denies domestic abuse allegations
Alexander Zverev takes to social media to share his side.
Paris Masters to go ahead, but no fans will be allowed following latest lockdown in France
There will be no fans at the 2020 Paris Masters.