Major Davis Cup overhaul to go ahead after it gets the approval of the ITF
The International Federation (ITF)’s proposal to turn the Davis Cup into a World Cup of Tennis has received the green light from tennis chiefs.
In February, the ITF announced the plans to revamp the event into a week-long World Cup that will feature 18 nations following a 25-year, $3 billion agreement with investment group Kosmos.
However, several international tennis organisers, with Tennis Australia leading the way, were outraged and felt it would lead to the “death of the Davis Cup” while the Lawn Tennis Association indicated it would vote against it.
The proposal was put before a vote at the ITF’s conference in Florida, Orlando, on Thursday and it received 71.4 per cent of the 120 delegates’ votes, giving it the clear two-thirds majority it needed.
ITF President David Haggerty said: “I am delighted that the nations have today voted to secure the long-term status of Davis Cup by BNP Paribas. By voting in favour of these reforms, we will be able to work with Kosmos to realise the huge potential of the competition and elevate it to new standards. This new event will create a true festival of tennis and entertainment which will be more attractive to players, to fans, to sponsors and to broadcasters.
“In addition, the new revenues for nations that the event will generate will have a transformative effect on the development of tennis in all nations. Our mission is to ensure that this historic decision will benefit the next generation of players for decades to come.
“I would like to thank the nations for taking this historic decision and the ITF Board of Directors for their commitment and support. I would also like to thank Kosmos for their passion and partnership. I have no doubt that by working together we will ensure a brighter future for tennis all around the world.”
The inaugural event is expected to take place in November 2019 in a yet to be decided European country.
The 2018 Davis Cup semi-finalists and two wild card nations will automatically go into the competition while 12 winners will come from a 24-team home and away qualifying in February.
The tournament will kick off with a round-robin format before it becomes a do-or-die affair with a knockout phase. Matches will be two singles and one doubles rubber while it will use best-of-three sets.
Wimbledon day four: British favourites fall but Cameron Norrie keeps home flag flying
Cameron Norrie ensured at least one Briton would reach the third round.
Andy Murray will ask how much more he can take after Wimbledon defeat
It was almost as if Andy Murray…
Cameron Norrie not trying to ‘make a name’ for himself at Wimbledon
The British number one won in five sets to make the third round at SW19 for a second consecutive year.
Novak Djokovic offers support to family of Boris Becker
Novak Djokovic has hosted Becker’s family in his player’s box in both rounds of Wimbledon so far.
Novak Djokovic to make Laver Cup call after Wimbledon
Novak Djokovic is interested in taking part in the Laver Cup.
John McEnroe paints a grim picture for Novak Djokovic
John McEnroe sees a future where Novak Djokovic ends the year ranked outside the top 40.
Emma Raducanu’s Wimbledon dream dies – but what comes next matters more
Raducanu may have failed to live up to ridiculous Wimbledon expectations, but it is far too early to write her off.
Novak Djokovic blows past Thanasi Kokkinakis in straight sets
The reigning champion dropped just seven games on Centre Court.
Alexander Zverev ‘in a positive mood’ as rehab begins
Alexander Zverev in a good mood as rehab journey begins.
Novak Djokovic says there is no ‘medical logic’ behind banning unvaccinated players from US Open
Novak Djokovic perplexed by decision not to allow unvaccinated players to compete at US Open.