Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic cast doubt over Davis Cup participation
The revamped Davis Cup might have to do without two of the world’s best players when the inaugural tournament takes place in Madrid with both Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic admitting they are unlikely to take part.
Despite a massive uproar, the International Tennis Federation voted in favour of a proposal to overhaul the team competition. Instead of home and away ties, 12 countries will compete for the Davis Cup in a week-long event in Madrid from 2019.
Earlier this week, Germany’s No 1 ranked player Alexander Zverev announced he will boycott the new tournament and now 20-time Grand Slam winner Federer has all but ruled himself out of next year’s competition.
“No, I highly doubt it, of course. We’ll see what happens,” he said.
“I don’t think this was designed for me, anyhow.
“This was designed for the future generation of players.”
Reigning Wimbledon and US Open champion Djokovic had similar views and admitted he is more likely to commit to the ATP Tour’s new World Team Cup that will be played early in the year.
“I just feel like the date of the Davis Cup is really bad, especially for the top players,” the 14-time Grand Slam winner said.
“Between the two, I will prioritise the World Team Cup because that’s a competition of ATP.
“But also I think and I hope that there will be a larger discussion between the players to understand how we are going to approach these two competitions.
“Or hopefully we can make it to the point where we can have one big ‘Super World Cup’, if you want to call it (that), or whatever it is, because that’s the best thing for our sport.
“But the way it seems right now, we are going to have two at the moment.”
More from Tennis365:
Jodie Burrage adding to the momentum behind Brits ahead of Wimbledon
Burrage’s journey, not only on grass courts but on tour as a whole, has not been smooth sailing.
Exclusive – Rumours over Emma Raducanu’s Wimbledon withdrawal as John Lloyd gives his verdict
US Open champion Raducanu has not played since withdrawing from the Rothesay Open Nottingham with the injury that continues to trouble her.
Wimbledon: Jack Draper feels ‘ready to be dangerous’ following last four run in Eastbourne
Draper was beaten in the Eastbourne semi-finals by Maxime Cressy on Friday.
Emma Raducanu can rise above the pressure and deliver at Wimbledon
The 19-year-old sparked more fears around her fitness by pulling out of a practice session on Friday.
Eastbourne: Jack Draper misses out on maiden ATP final
Cressy continued his conquering of the British players to edge through 7-6 (5) 6-7 (2) 6-3.
Ukraine grateful to Wimbledon for its decision to ban Russian players
The Ukrainian teenager says she has been “constantly disappointed” at the reaction of tennis since Russia’s invasion.
Rafael Nadal making the most of every minute on grass
Rafael Nadal is upbeat ahead of Wimbledon.
Emma Raducanu’s agent defends teen star’s work schedule
Emma Raducanu’s agent Max Eisenbud insists the young star’s off-court commitments have not impacted her performance at all.
Emma Raducanu should limit off-court obligations according to former prodigy
Pam Shriver says she doesn’t expect much from Emma Raducanu at Wimbledon.
Andy Murray says ‘I still believe I can win Wimbledon’ and working hard to ‘achieve that goal’
Andy Murray believes he can win a third Wimbledon title.