Nick Kyrgios likely to skip French Open, admits he is ‘not sure’ 2021 Australian Open will go ahead
Chances of Nick Kyrgios playing at this year’s French Open are “slim to none” with the Australian saying he is likely “to stay home” for the remainder of the 2020 season.
The world No 40 had already confirmed that he won’t compete at this month’s US Open due to coronavirus concerns, saying the decision “hurts me at my core”.
However, many believed the Australian would travel to Europe for the clay-court season, which culminates with the French Open starting on September 27.
The 25-year-old, though, says it is highly unlikely that he will play at Roland Garros.
— Wide World of Sports (@wwos) August 5, 2020
“It’s a very slim chance I’ll play in Europe. Almost slim to none, to be honest,” he told Channel Nine.
“I’m going to use this (time) to stay home, train, be with my family, be with my friends and I’m just going to act responsibly, and wait till I think there’s better circumstances to play.”
Besides Kyrgios, defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal, former champion Stan Wawrinka as well as women’s world No 1 Ashleigh Barty also won’t feature at Flushing Meadows this year.
“I knew a lot of players were going to [pull out] – I don’t think the US Open will be happy seeing some of the biggest names in sport not put their health at risk and go there and play,” Kyrgios said.
“I wasn’t surprised by Rafa’s decision; I think he’s more eyeing the French Open.”
Adding: “If I was to play I’d probably definitely rather go to Europe (than America) at this time of year for sure with everything going on.”
The 2021 Australian Open is scheduled to start in mid-January at Melbourne Park and organisers are confident it will go ahead despite the recent surge in coronavirus cases in Victoria.
Kyrgios, though, is not so sure.
“With the pandemic in Melbourne, I heard on the radio today I think 700 new cases, we reached new heights in deaths,” he said.
“I’m not sure the Australian Open will go on.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
British number one Dan Evans goes out at quarter-final stage at Queen’s Club
But Cameron Norrie books his place in the last eight.
Dan Evans has his run at Queen’s Club ended by Matteo Berrettini
Top seed Matteo Berrettini reached the semi-finals with a 7-6 (5) 6-3 victory.
Exclusive – Tennis needs to build ‘female workforce’ to reach a new audience
Judy Murray wants to see more women participating in tennis at all levels.
Naomi Osaka will not play at Wimbledon but she is preparing to return to the game
Wimbledon is set to begin on June 28 and Naomi Osaka will be missing.
Andy Murray insists his ambition is not dented after compressive defeat at Queen’s Club
The Scot was overpowered 6-3 6-3.
Wimbledon organisers defend online ticket sale amid complaints from fans
Vast majority of those applying had no issues.
Impressive Matteo Berrettini ends Andy Murray’s Queen’s Club comeback
Andy Murray was overpowered by Matteo Berrettini.
‘I’m just pleased to have come through,’ Dan Evans after easing into Queen’s Club last eight
British No 1 secured a two-set win over the Frenchman.
‘The goal is to prolong my career,’ says Rafael Nadal as he withdraws from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics
Rafael Nadal opts to take an extended.
Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal may be a sign of what is to come
Kevin Palmer on Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal.