‘Players won’t skip French Open,’ says Spaniard despite controversial coronavirus rescheduling
Feliciano Lopez does not expect many players to skip the French Open after its controversial move from spring to autumn due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The French Tennis Federation drew sharp rebukes from fellow organisations and players after making the surprise announcement earlier this week without consulting fellow stakeholders.
The tournament is now due to begin only a week after the US Open and clashes with a number of events, including Roger Federer’s Laver Cup.
The Laver Cup, a Ryder Cup-style tournament between Europe and the rest of the world that has attracted star-studded fields, responded with a statement saying it would go ahead as planned.
Spaniard Lopez, ranked 56th, told as.com: “It is an emergency situation. If it finally turns out that way, I imagine that tennis players will want to play and few people will skip (it).
“This change of surface has usually happened to us with Davis Cup, who went from one surface to another in less than five days. Even at Wimbledon, because now there are three weeks away from Roland Garros, but before it was two and you went from clay to grass.”
As well as maintaining his status as a top player, 38-year-old Lopez is also tournament director of the Madrid Open, which is one of the events to have been called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The tournament was due to begin on May 2, and Lopez revealed there is no chance of following the French Open’s lead and finding alternative dates for 2020.
He said: “Unfortunately we have no margin to play. People in the organisation are sad, although the situation was not very hopeful seeing the latest events. It is a hard blow, but we are already looking at the 2021 edition.”
Lopez does not currently have access to a tennis court but is doing what he can to stay fit.
He said: “I’m doing a lot of cycling. I also have medicine balls, run where I can around here, video conferences with my coach. A little of everything and waiting to see how events unfold.”
Exclusive – Tennis needs to build ‘female workforce’ to reach a new audience
Judy Murray wants to see more women participating in tennis at all levels.
Naomi Osaka will not play at Wimbledon but she is preparing to return to the game
Wimbledon is set to begin on June 28 and Naomi Osaka will be missing.
Andy Murray insists his ambition is not dented after compressive defeat at Queen’s Club
The Scot was overpowered 6-3 6-3.
Wimbledon organisers defend online ticket sale amid complaints from fans
Vast majority of those applying had no issues.
Impressive Matteo Berrettini ends Andy Murray’s Queen’s Club comeback
Andy Murray was overpowered by Matteo Berrettini.
‘I’m just pleased to have come through,’ Dan Evans after easing into Queen’s Club last eight
British No 1 secured a two-set win over the Frenchman.
‘The goal is to prolong my career,’ says Rafael Nadal as he withdraws from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics
Rafael Nadal opts to take an extended.
Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal may be a sign of what is to come
Kevin Palmer on Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal.
A list of Roger Federer’s defeats on grass. Can you name the 24 players who have beaten him on the surface?
A full list of Roger Federer’s 28 defeats on grass.
‘The tank is quite empty,’ says Kiki Bertens as she announces 2021 will be her final season
Kiki Bertens to call it a day.