Roland Garros confirms ‘up to 60%’ capacity for French Open, Covid-19 protocols for players being finalised
The 2020 French Open won’t be a behind-closed doors event with Roland Garros confirming that spectators will be allowed to fill up to 60 per cent of stadiums.
This year’s clay-court Grand Slam was moved from its original May 24-June 7 slot to September 27-October 11 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
With the United States Tennis Association opting to host the US Open without spectators, many believed the French Tennis Federation (FFT) could follow suit.
However, the FFT has adopted a different approach as Covid-19 has started to flatten across Europe.
“The number of spectators allowed inside the stadium will be 50% to 60% of its usual capacity, allowing us to ensure the barrier measures are respected,” a statement said.
On the main courts, a maximum of four people will be able to sit together with an empty seat between groups while on the other courts one seat out of two will be empty.
Up to 20,000 people are likely to attend the French Open during the early stages with about 10,000 fans expected on the day of the finals.
Masks will also be mandatory for people who are inside the grounds while it will only be recommended for those in the vicinity of the stadium.
“We went for the responsible option,” FFT president Bernard Giudicelli said.
He added: “Should the situation evolve in the right direction, new tickets would be available in September.”
The French Tennis Federation also confirmed that specific hygiene protocol for players and their entourage are still being drafted and will be released in due course.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
EXCLUSIVE – Leon Smith reflects on coaching Andy Murray and the role of the inspirational Judy Murray
Leon Smith looks back on his days coaching Andy Murray.
Alexander Zverev goes ‘back to his family roots’ as he leaves Roger Federer’s management firm
Alexander Zverev confirms changes to his team.
Tennis players’ isolation complaints given short shrift by Victorian Premier
A total of 72 players are unable to leave their rooms.
Kevin Anderson on potential ATP-WTA merger: ‘There have been no real discussions’
No ATP-WTA merger talks underway.
‘Players upset’ over privileges afforded to Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem
“It’s not apples and apples here, but apples and pears.”
More Australian Open players go into isolation taking number up to 72
Forty-seven had already been quarantined.
How Australian Open players are keeping themselves occupied in quarantine
A total of 47 players forced to quarantine.
Australian Open preparations rocked by fourth positive Covid case
A positive test was returned on a charter flight from LA.
Players were made aware of isolation risks on arrival to Australia – Craig Tiley
Forty seven players to remain in their hotel rooms.