Roland Garros officials working closely with tennis authorities to avoid US Open clash
Guy Forget, the Roland Garros tournament director, says they are doing all they can to make sure this year’s French Open does not clash with the US Open.
The 2020 French Open was initially due to start on May 24, but the coronavirus pandemic forced organisers to move the tournament to September 20-October 4.
It means the clay-court Grand Slam is due to start just one week after the US Open final at Flushing Meadows and, to complicate things even further, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) is yet to confirm if the US Open will go ahead due to Covid-19.
New York has been the epicentre of the pandemic in the United States and USTA officials will only confirm in mid-June whether or not the tournament will go ahead as planned.
Forget says they are waiting on the USTA announcement.
“The official announcement has not been made yet. It (the French Open) will probably be between the end of September and the beginning of October,” he told French radio Europe 1.
“We’ve been working closely with the ATP, the WTA and the ITF to make a global announcement on what the circuit will be like until the end of the year.
“There are so many question marks. The city of New York is more affected by the coronavirus than France. They also have a lot of organisation problems, they will make an announcement mid-June to say how it’s going to be like for the US Open.”
Although France has banned gatherings of more than 5,000 people up until August, Forget says they are hopeful they will have a tournament with spectators.
“We’ll see how the situation is in a couple of months. We will adapt to what the government will say. We have to be ambitious and optimistic,” he said.
Rafael Nadal will keep playing so long as the wins keep coming
Rafael Nadal isn’t ready to pack it in just yet.
‘Motivated’ Novak Djokovic blows past Cristian Garin in Kazakhstan
Novak Djokovic was unstoppable.
Australia Open organisers hint at Novak Djokovic return in 2023
It looks likely that Novak Djokovic will take part in the 2023 Australian Open.
Why Emma Raducanu should take encouragement from her recent near misses
Emma Raducanu should take encouragement from her recent near misses.
Carlos Alcaraz to take lessons from David Goffin’s spanking
Carlos Alcaraz says he will take lessons from the spanking he got from David Goffin.
Daria Kasatkina ousts Emma Raducanu in first round of Agel Open
The British number one was beaten 7-5 6-4 at the Czech tournament.
Nick Kyrgios requests dismissal of assault charge – reports
Nick Kyrgios’ case continues to move through the system despite his absence.
Dual ATP 500 week opens with huge upsets as Casper Ruud and Carlos Alcaraz lose
Tokyo and Nur-Sultan have both lost their top seeds early in the week.
On This Day: Maria Sharapova sees doping ban reduced
The Russian star had tested positive for the cardiac drug meldonium earlier in the year.