‘We’re expecting most of the players to come to our event,’ says French Open tournament director
Roland Garros Tournament Director Guy Forget is optimistic that the majority of the world’s best tennis players will compete at this year’s French Open.
The red dirt Grand Slam has been rescheduled to September 27-October 11 due to the coronavirus pandemic with the US Open taking place in its original August 31-September 13 slot.
However, some players have raised question marks about not only the travelling back and forth for the two majors, but also the different health and safety measures being introduced to combat Covid-19.
There have been suggestions that defending champion Rafael Nadal could withdraw from the US Open to focus on Roland Garros while others could instead just play at Flushing Meadows.
However, Forget is confident “most players” will compete in Paris.
“Well, you know, the ATP and the WTA have been working really hard with us and the Grand Slams together to be able to put a schedule for the end of the season where players can play as much as possible,” he told Eurosport.
“You know a lot of players have been suffering a lot by not being able to make a living, so what we’re trying to, all of us, do now is to offer a schedule where they can actually perform. There’ll be a lot of events as you know, some of them are following each other.
“None of the events are mandatory so players will basically choose where and when they want to play. I think it’s fair, you know, as a Grand Slam – New York or Paris – we’re expecting most of the players to come to our event, but eventually some will not depending on where they come from.”
While the US Open will be a closed-doors event, Roland Garros has confirmed that stadiums will be filled “up to 60 per cent”.
“I’m looking forward to see all of the players, the women and the men, because I know we’ll see a smile on their faces,” Forget said. “I can’t wait for them to discover the new Philippe Chatrier court with the roof because it’s something we’ve been dreaming about for so many years. And I can’t wait to see the competition because the level of tennis we are witnessing every year is just incredible.
“And every year I am amazed when I sit on the side of the court for a while and I see these women and these men playing such a high level of tennis. Hopefully it will be with fans. So far, we are talking about a 50 percent of fans, and I’m sure all the people will be lucky enough to be in the grounds for those matches. We’ll be thrilled.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
On this day in 2014: Stan Wawrinka ends Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open run
The Swiss won a five-set epic to deny Djokovic a piece of history.
Novak Djokovic hits back at allegations of being ‘selfish, difficult and ungrateful’
Djokovic says he finds it tough to be ‘a mere onlooker’.
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.
More coronavirus cases linked to arrivals for Australian Open
Australian Open boss said the safety of the Victorian community will not be compromised.
Big boost for LTA’s innovation drive as it signs deal with UK distributor of the Slinger Bag
LTA signs deal with Framework Sports & Marketing Ltd.
Australian Open chief defends Novak Djokovic over quarantine note, saying ‘they were suggestions’
Craig Tiley jumps to Novak Djokovic’s defence.
Quarantine remains in place for 72 players ahead of Australian Open
Two Covid-19 cases have been deemed viral shedding.
EXCLUSIVE – British Davis Cup captain Leon Smith recalls sitting next to Judy Murray as her son won Wimbledon
We talk to Leon Smith about his coaching journey.