Former top 10 player explains why Roger Federer needs to brush up on his baseline game for Wimbledon
Former ATP top 10 player Marc Rosset believes Roger Federer’s decision to compete on clay this year will boost his physical preparation and help him to fine-tune his baseline game for Wimbledon.
After more than a year on the sidelines following two knee operations, Federer made his return to competitive tennis at the Qatar Open, reaching the second round before falling to Nikoloz Basilashvili.
He was then set to compete at the Dubai Tennis Championships last week, but opted to withdraw “to go back to training” while he had previously decided against defending his Miami Open title.
It’s been great to be back on the @atptour , loved every minute playing in Doha once again. 🙌🏼
A big thank you to the best and loyal team that helped me get here. 🙏🏼
I’ve decided it’s best to go back to training and as a result, I’ve decided to withdraw from Dubai next week. 🏋🏽 pic.twitter.com/zp65Jt832n
— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) March 11, 2021
The 20-time Grand Slam winner is expected to play the clay-court season, which starts on April 5 and culminates in the French Open on May 24 before switching to grass with the main aim to win a ninth Wimbledon title.
His compatriot Rosset, who won 15 ATP titles and reached a career-high of No 9 in the rankings, says a long stint on clay will boost Federer’s Wimbledon chances.
“Roger Federer saw that maybe he was lacking a bit of physical preparation,” he told L’Equipe.
“So I think it’s going to be interesting for him to really play as many matches as possible on clay.”
He added: “[Playing on clay] will allow him to do a little land work, to get a bit of a physical shape.
“Wimbledon is hardly won anymore by serving-and-volleying, it is won from the baseline.
“If he also wants to win Wimbledon, he will necessarily have to beat [Novak] Djokovic, [Rafael] Nadal or other players who are in the top 10.
“And to meet them [beforehand], he will have to play these players in the Masters 1000 on clay or at Roland Garros.”
Australian Open news: Ons Jabeur has withdrawn from the tournament
The Tunisian is suffering with a back injury.
Novak Djokovic news: ‘Total BS’ – John McEnroe on the Aus Open saga
The tennis legend seemingly took the world No 1’s side.
Novak Djokovic news: The Serbian is welcomed back home with open arms
It was a completely different experience to when he landed in Australia.
Emma Raducanu news: Justine Henin exclusive on the US Open champion
Henin told Tennis365 that the Brit cannot be expected to follow up her US Open win with relentless success in 2022.
Rafael Nadal news: Mats Wilander exclusive on the Australian Open without Novak Djokovic
Djokovic’s expulsion from the Australian Open has left the door ajar for Rafael Nadal.
Australian Open news: Alexander Zverev wins all-German tie
But his performance wasn’t exactly award winning.
Ashleigh Barty news: World No 1 makes strong statement in Melbourne opener
World No 1 Ashleigh Barty is out for a blood as she is eyeing the first Australian Open.
Australian Open day one news: Matteo Berrettini’s stomach bother, but no problems for big guns
Naomi Osaka, Rafael Nadal and Ashleigh Barty eased into round two.
Rafael Nadal news: Justice has spoken, says Spaniard about Novak Djokovic ‘mess’
Rafael Nadal told the reporters that justice has spoken in the Novak Djokovic saga.
Novak Djokovic news: Could the Serb lose sponsors after his deportation from Australia?
Lacoste has suggested they are seeking to speak with Djokovic as they assess the fall-out from the story.