Australian doubles great Todd Woodbridge admits it Roger Federer will find it difficult to add another Grand Slam to his tally following the disruptions to the tennis calendar this year.
Wimbledon organisers confirmed earlier this week that the 134th Championships will now only be staged in 2021 due to the coronavirus while the ATP and WTA revealed that tennis will be suspended until July 13.
Although the US Open and rescheduled French Open are still pencilled in for later this year, Wimbledon was Federer’s best chance to win a major this year.
Woodbridge, a 16-time Grand Slam men’s doubles champion, doubts that the 38-year-old Federer will add to 20 majors.
“The question that Roger will have to ask himself is how motivated is he to come back for another year?” he told Australian Associated Press.
“Or has this actually helped him? But the less match play that you get in this period at that age, it’s so much harder to come back and recover once you start again.
“So I really think that post-2020 will be a new era of people trying to create records because it’ll have really have broken up a great period in tennis.
“It has stopped the potential, I think, of Federer winning one or two more. It becomes very highly unlikely for him.”
Basilashvili charged with domestic violence.
Tennis trio features in Nike ad.
NZ Premier League set to start on June 3.
Roger Federer not a fan of behind-closed-doors tournaments.
Dan Evans keen on competing in ‘amazing spectacle’ without fans.
Roger Federer taking it easy.
Roland Garros eager to avoid US Open clash.
Charleston to host invitational event.
Balkan region event to feature Djokovic, Thiem, Dimitrov.
ATP Tour is in good shape, says Marin Cilic.