Wimbledon: Andy Murray doesn’t expect lack of ranking points to weaken field
Andy Murray expects there to be an “extremely strong field” at Wimbledon this summer but reiterated his belief the decision to take away rankings points was a not a great move.
The three-time grand slam winner was speaking after beginning his grass-court campaign with an impressive 6-2 6-1 victory over Jurij Rodionov in the first round of the Surbiton Trophy on Monday.
It was announced earlier this month by the ATP and WTA that no ranking points would be on offer at Wimbledon after the All England Club announced it would not allow Russian and Belarusian players to enter the Championships due to the ongoing war in Ukraine.
A number of players have criticised the decision, while former world number one Naomi Osaka suggested she could skip the third grand slam of the year.
Murray believes a different approach could have been adopted.
“My belief is Wimbledon will go ahead and have an extremely strong player field,” the 35-year-old said.
“Removing the points, if it doesn’t stop players from playing then I don’t think it’s a great move from the ATP because they’ve taken the points away and everyone’s still showing up. I don’t think it’s a great move from that perspective.
“A lot of the players are frustrated and didn’t want that to happen. I think most and the majority of the players – certainly the ones that I’ve spoken to – felt like there should have been some response from the ATP.
“My feeling is that it would have been better to make a move or negotiate something that’s going to be beneficial for the future of the tour. I don’t know, something that would involve having a seat at the table in future grand-slam discussions over rules or prize-money distribution, those sorts of things, which recently that hasn’t been the case.”
It was put to Murray the stance of the ATP could be construed as support for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
But he said: “I don’t believe there’s anyone at the ATP that supports what’s happening in Ukraine. I don’t believe that. I think they’re trying to protect the players the best they can and that’s the decision that they’ve taken.
“I can kind of see why they’ve tried to do it and yeah I spoke to the ATP and I spoke to players and just tried to get different opinions. Some players are fine with the decision but I think the majority of them were not.
“I spoke to some of the Russian players in Madrid and yeah, look, I feel for those players as well.
“I like them and I’m friends with them and I don’t believe they’re in favour of what’s happening either, but I appreciate that it’s not that easy for them to talk about it publicly and stuff. I don’t believe that the players are part of that either. It’s a difficult one.”
Nick Kyrgios credits doubles success with singles breakthrough
Nick Kyrgios says his run with Thanasi reignited his love for the game.
Nick Kyrgios is looking to get the jump on the ATP Tour in Saudi Arabia
Nick Kyrgios hopes Saudi exhibition helps kick start his 2023 campaign.
Davis Cup: Canada set up final date with Australia after downing Italy
Felix pulled it out of the bag for Canada.
Andy Murray and Piers Morgan spar on Twitter over Messi v Ronaldo
Two-time Wimbledon champion Andy Murray teased interviewer Piers Morgan with a cheeky tweet after Lionel Messi’s World Cup goal.
Novak Djokovic set to make Australia return in Adelaide
Novak Djokovic and Serbia will miss the United Cup after the World No 5 opted not to declare for the tournament.
WTA not satisfied with China over Peng Shuai explanations
The WTA are at odds with China.
Why Roger Federer is still the highest paid star in tennis
Leaving Nike and freeing himself to sign long-term deals with Uniqlo and On Running has proved to be hugely lucrative for Federer.
Former US Open champion confirms new coach for 2023
Bianca Andreescu has reunited with an old mentor.
Davis Cup: Australia produce stunning fightback to reach final
Australia show fight to down Croatia and take a step towards another Davis Cup title.