Heather Watson on Wimbledon cancellation: ‘I love it and live for it every year so I’m gutted’
British No 2 Heather Watson is “gutted” this year’s Wimbledon was cancelled but hopes the tennis calendar can resume as soon as possible.
The tournament was scheduled to take place at the All England Club from June 29 to July 12 but was called off last week because of the coronavirus crisis.
Watson reached the top 50 of the WTA singles rankings before the pandemic halted all play until at least the middle of July.
The 27-year-old said during an Instagram Live with Functional Tennis: “The grasscourt season is just the highlight of my life.
“I love it and live for it every year so I’m gutted, but it’s a tough time for everyone and I just hope that everyone gets through this safe and as quick as possible.”
She also recalled winning her only grand slam title of her career to date when she claimed the mixed doubles with Finland’s Henri Kontinen in 2016.
She said: “One of the best days of my life was winning the mixed doubles with Henri and it was the first time we played together and got on like a house on fire.
“We are complete opposites but it just worked. He is such an incredible player. The support was amazing, I was the only Brit on the court so we were getting most of the support.
“To win a title at Wimbledon, no matter what it is, you are on history walls forever and nobody can take that away from you so I’m really proud of myself for that and the trophy is front and centre in my living room.”
Watson last month ended a four-year wait for a WTA title when she beat Canadian Leylah Fernandez in an entertaining final in Acapulco and she believes her happiness off the court was the main factor behind the success.
“It was awesome. I’m in a very good place,” she said. “I just knew I was playing great tennis, I felt everything in my life and game was coming together.”
Iga Swiatek’s perfect week as she claims her second WTA title
Iga Swiatek won her second career WTA title with victory over Belinda Bencic in the final of the Adelaide International.
Jamie Murray says quarantine threat on tour means players must be ready to adapt
The doubles specialist plans to travel to tournaments in Mexico and Miami next month without knowing what to expect on arrival.
Battle of the Brits event is back and this time with spectators
The Battle of the Brits events were a huge success during the Covid-19 crisis and now they are set to return with spectators.
The only way is up for Naomi Osaka as she looks to replicate hard-court success on clay and grass
Oli Jefford on the world being Naomi Osaka’s oyster.
Britain’s strength in depth in doubles highlights quality of structure
British tennis may be wondering who can replace Andy Murray, but they have a very different story to tell in the doubles arena.
Rafael Nadal pulls out of his next event due to ‘ongoing’ back problem
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the ABN…
Lleyton Hewitt to be inducted into International Tennis Hall Of Fame
Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt is the latest player who will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Five of the best men’s matches at the Australian Open featuring Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Rafael Nadal, and more
The matches that made us sit up and take note.
Five of the best women’s matches at Australian Open featuring Naomi Osaka vs Garbine Muguruza, and more
Five of the best women’s singles matches at the 2021 Aus Open.
Ashleigh Barty laments giving away control to Danielle Collins as she suffers defeat in Adelaide
Early exit for defending champion Ashleigh Barty.