Wimbledon CEO stands by decision to ban Russia and Belarusia players, confirms appeal against WTA fine
Wimbledon organisers have appealed against a fine from the WTA for banning Russian and Belarusian players from this year’s Championships.
It had been reported the WTA fined the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) and the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) for excluding Russian and Belarusian players from warm-up competitions in Eastbourne, Nottingham and Birmingham this summer.
And AELTC chief executive Sally Bolton told reporters on Monday the organisation is “deeply disappointed” by the Tour’s reaction to its decision to impose the ban following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Asked about the fines, she said: “I think the first thing to say is that it is the subject of a legal process so I can’t comment specifically on that.”
But she added: “We stand by the decision we made, we are deeply disappointed at the reactions of the tours to that decision and I probably can’t say anything more on that at this time, I’m afraid.
Asked if the AELTC would appeal, she said: “Yes, we have appealed.”
Bolton said the AELTC is waiting to hear from the ATP on its decision on whether or not to fine the Championships over the ban.
Asked about whether it will be the AELTC or the LTA who pays the fines, Bolton said: “We are separate organisations and we have been fined separately so we are addressing it separately, but it is subject to a legal process so I can’t say anymore.”
Earlier this year, both the WTA and ATP criticised Wimbledon’s decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
The ATP, WTA, and International Tennis Federation all announced in May that the governing bodies will not award ranking points for this year’s Wimbledon in response to the ban.
Bolton said: “We thought really, really long and hard about that decision. It was an incredibly difficult and challenging decision to make.
“It was not one we took lightly. We thought carefully about the ramifications of taking it.
“But it was absolutely the right decision for us. It was the only viable option in the context of the Government guidance in place and we stand by that decision.
“We accept that others will take a different view view but we absolutely stand by that decision.”
The PA news agency has contacted the WTA for comment.
Pablo Carreno Busta joins the ranks of Masters champions after Montreal fightback
Pablo Carreno Busta is a Masters champion and makes a serious move in the Race to Turin.
Exclusive – Laura Robson leaps to the defence of Emma Raducanu
Former British No 1 Laura Robson is baffled by the inflated expectations Emma Raducanu.
Exclusive – Tim Henman backs Andy Murray to defy his doubters once again
Former British No 1 Henman suggests Murray wins against top players over the last year will encourage him to fight on.
Simona Halep wins ding-dong battle to claim third Canadian Open title
Halep extended her impressive wins record at WTA 1000 events moving out to 185 matches won in the flagship events.
How to watch Masters finals in Toronto and Montreal
How to track the Canadian Open action.
Simona Halep to return to top ten after reaching Toronto final
Simona Halep and Beatriz Haddad Maia will battle it out for the Toronto Masters title.
Dan Evans battles bravely but Pablo Carreno Busta sets Hubert Hurkacz showdown
The British number two was eventually outlasted 7-5 6-7 6-2 across two hours and 58 minutes.
Andy Murray gets Cinccinati boost, but handed tricky opener against old foe with Cameron Norrie also lurking
Andy Murray handed tough assignment in Cincinnati.
Dan Evans vs Pablo Carreno Busta: How to watch Montreal semis as Evans looks to sneak into ATP top 20
A quick lowdown on the Canadian Masters semi-final and possible ATP Ranking changes.