EXCLUSIVE: Tim Henman reveals plans are being made for Wimbledon 2021
Tim Henman has told Tennis365 that “a massive amount of planning” has already been put into place ahead of next year’s Wimbledon Championships.
Former British No.1 Henman has a prominent role on the All England Club’s Committee and was part of the decision to call off this year’s Championships at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Even though the postponement/cancellation has been on the cards for quite some time, I was still personally in a little bit of shock when you read the press release and the news is confirmed,” Henman told Tennis365 shortly after it was confirmed Wimbledon would be cancelled for the first time since World War II.
“There are a lot of things to take into consideration, like moving dates in the calendar and how that affects other tournaments. When the Olympics were postponed, we looked at whether we could move back later, we looked at the options of playing behind closed doors, but the decision needed to be made early.
Now it appears plans for next year’s Championships have already been discussed, after reports emerged earlier this month suggesting Wimbledon will take place with or without a crowd in 2021.
Henman, who is part of the Eurosport team of analysts at this year’s French Open, has told us that plans for a tournament to be staged next summer are underway.
“People can speculate all they like but no one knows at this stage,” stated Henman. “You can safely say there is a massive amount of planning that is already taking place.
The final Grand Slam event of a chaoitic 2020 tennis year will reach a conclusion with the French Open Men’s final on Sunday and thoughts will quickly turn to what comes next, with the ATP Finals still scheduled to take place in London in November.
After that, thoughts will turn to 2021 and what all tennis fans will hope will be a tennis calendar that will include Wimbledon as its centre-piece.
Tim Henman is a tennis expert for Eurosport. All courts and all matches from Roland-Garros will be live on Eurosport and Eurosport app throughout the tournament.
Follow Kevin Palmer on Twitter @RealKevinPalmer
Novak Djokovic hits back at allegations of being ‘selfish, difficult and ungrateful’
Djokovic says he finds it tough to be ‘a mere onlooker’.
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.
More coronavirus cases linked to arrivals for Australian Open
Australian Open boss said the safety of the Victorian community will not be compromised.
Big boost for LTA’s innovation drive as it signs deal with UK distributor of the Slinger Bag
LTA signs deal with Framework Sports & Marketing Ltd.
Australian Open chief defends Novak Djokovic over quarantine note, saying ‘they were suggestions’
Craig Tiley jumps to Novak Djokovic’s defence.
Quarantine remains in place for 72 players ahead of Australian Open
Two Covid-19 cases have been deemed viral shedding.
EXCLUSIVE – British Davis Cup captain Leon Smith recalls sitting next to Judy Murray as her son won Wimbledon
We talk to Leon Smith about his coaching journey.
Australian Open tension boiling over as players, pundits, ex-pros, fans involved in social media spats
It’s all kicking off on social media.