ATP confirms it will take no action against Alexander Zverev after domestic abuse investigation

Tennis365
Alexander Zverev on the ATP Tour

The ATP will take no action against Alexander Zverev after a 15-month investigation into allegations of domestic abuse found “insufficient evidence”.

The 25-year-old German, currently ranked 14 in the world, was accused of domestic abuse by his former girlfriend, Olya Sharypova, in 2020.

Zverev, though, dismissed the allegations.

“There are the unfounded accusations of my ex – girlfriend Olga Sharypova , which I read in the media today. They make me very sad,” he said.

“We have known each other since we were children and shared many experiences together. I very much regret that she makes such statements because the accusations are simply not true.

“We had a relationship but it ended a long time ago . Why Olga is making these accusations now, I just don’t know . I really hope that the two of us will find a way to deal with each other again in a reasonable and respectful way.”

An independent investigation began in October 2021 which focused on alleged abuse at the ATP Masters 1000 event in Shanghai in 2019, as well as other locations including Monaco, New York and Geneva.

However, it was unable to substantiate the allegations and as a result no disciplinary action will be taken by the ATP, the governing body announced on Tuesday.

ATP chief executive Massimo Calvelli said in a statement: “The seriousness and complexity of these allegations required an extremely thorough investigative process and considerable resources.

“It also required us to turn to specialist investigators, which was new ground for ATP.

“We ultimately believe the exhaustive process was necessary to reach an informed judgement.

“It has also shown the need for us to be more responsive on safeguarding matters. It is the reason we’ve taken steps in that direction, with a lot of important work still ahead.”

Zverev, who rose to world No 2 last year, has played just one tournament since suffering a serious ankle injury against Rafael Nadal at the French Open in June.

He was beaten in the second round of the Australian Open by Michael Mmoh earlier this month.

In late 2021, former world No 1 Andy Murray admitted the saga “hasn’t been good for anyone” and the stories

“The way that it’s (been) handled hasn’t been good for anyone,” the former world No 1 told Inside Tennis. “I don’t think it’s been great for the Tour. I don’t think it’s been great for Zverev, because you know, unless it gets addressed head-on, it’s just going to be lingering, and, like you say, the questions will continue to be getting asked.

“Obviously, it’s not been properly addressed, and until that happens, then players are going to continue to get asked about it.”

But the sport will now probably move on.