‘I was p***ed off,’ says Andy Murray as he bemoans lax protocols at training facility after positive Covid-19 case
Andy Murray has blamed lax coronavirus protocols at the Lawn Tennis Association’s flagship National Tennis Centre for the positive Covid-19 test that forced him to miss the Australian Open.
The former world No 1 had to isolate after testing positive on January 11 and was unable to take up his seat on the charter flight organised by Tennis Australia.
He still hoped a solution could be found to allow him to compete in Melbourne but accepted defeat after being told he would have to endure two weeks of hard quarantine.
We are very sorry he’ll not be able to play and we look forward to seeing Andy back on court again soon. pic.twitter.com/Y3NyxdLDnd
— LTA (@the_LTA) January 22, 2021
There was a distinct irony that Murray chose to pull out of the tournament he had entered in the United States because of fears of contracting the virus, practising at the NTC in Roehampton instead.
The 33-year-old considered himself ultra cautious and has no doubt that he picked up the illness, which left him feeling under the weather for a couple of days, while training.
Murray said: “I stuck to all of the protocols that were in place. I didn’t leave my house or the NTC for the 10 weeks of training. I was very careful because it’s not just for tennis reasons.”
Murray passed the virus on to his family, with wife Kim testing positive followed by his three young children, while another member of the Scot’s wider family became very ill after also catching it.
Murray highlighted notable differences between the environment at the NTC once it was allowed to reopen following the first lockdown and the situation after Christmas, when he felt other users of the centre were not showing the same respect for the rules as he was.
The Scot’s positive test was part of a small outbreak that also took in an LTA doctor and young British player Paul Jubb.
“When we went to the NTC in April last year, if there are six indoor courts, you could only practise on one, three and five,” said the three-time Grand Slam champion.
“There wasn’t any testing at that time but the gym was closed and it was restricted access. It was very different.
“Whereas after Christmas you obviously have an indoor venue where they are using all six courts, there were tons of people in the gym and it was just totally different.”
Restrictions have since been tightened, with more testing, the lounge closed and greater distancing.
“Now it’s kind of back to what it was in April, which is good because I imagine there is less risk of any transmission and infections, but the reality is that it happened too late because there were quite a number of cases between Christmas, New Year and the players going off to Australia,” added Murray.
British No 1 Dan Evans also trained extensively at the NTC and he backed up some of Murray’s complaints, particularly over the number of people using the centre.
Evans said: “I think Christmas period and the New Year period maybe slackened a little bit. Obviously the doctor had Covid as well, so that coincided with I think players then getting it when she was isolating.
“If I was being a bit harsh, without being rude to some players, (they) probably shouldn’t have been in there.
“I was pretty nervous the last few days because obviously we knew the virus was there.”
In response, the LTA stressed its approach throughout has followed advice from Public Health England.
Murray will begin his season on Monday in the much-less-celebrated surroundings of a second-tier Challenger event in Biella, Italy.
The Scot is desperate to get back into action after a much-disrupted comeback from hip surgery two years ago and is feeling fit and ready following a strong training block.
The sting of missing out on another grand slam tournament remains, and he feels complaints from players in quarantine in Australia did not help his cause for an exception to be made.
He said: “I still am gutted about it. When I’m sitting in my hotel room here when I’m obviously healthy and fit and ready to play and compete, seeing the tournaments going on over there is tough, because I’d prepared really, really well, it had probably been the best two or three months’ training that I had done in the last few years.
“Even after the positive test, it seemed like everything was going quite well. I think the carry-on from some of the players over in Australia didn’t really help my situation much.”
ATP announces ‘Covid Protection Ranking’ amid ongoing restrictions
ATP announces new system and some tweaks to other systems.
WATCH: Turning his back on play, brilliant winners, racket smashing from Daniil Medvedev as he loses
Daniil Medvedev entertains, even when he loses.
‘I just don’t feel well here’ – Alexander Zverev’s Rotterdam woes continue as he bemoans early exit
Early exit for Alexander Zverev in Rotterdam.
As football’s VAR struggles continue, tennis celebrates 15 years of Hawk-Eye’s electronic line calling system
Hawk-Eye in tennis, some like it, some don’t.
Rafael Nadal vows he will continue to play tennis as long as he is ‘healthy and able to compete’
Rafael Nadal on retirement.
Tim Henman says ‘mesmerising’ Roger Federer ‘won’t just make up the numbers’ upon his return
Tim Henman on Roger Federer’s comeback.
Andrey Rublev expects ‘fun’ match against ‘true legend’ Andy Murray as Scot praises Russian’s work ethic
Andrey Rublev and Andy Murray sing each other’s praises.
Stefanos Tsitsipas explains how change in mindset helped him to turn things around in Rotterdam opener
Stefanos Tsitsipas shows some fight in Rotterdam win.
Andy Murray set for Rotterdam second-round clash with world No 8 Andrey Rublev
Murray and Rublev’s only other meeting was in 2017.
Novak Djokovic unlikely to return to action before clay season as there ‘is no need to take any risks’
Novak Djokovic unlikely to feature at the Miami Open.