Andy Murray pulls out of Delray Beach Open due to coronavirus concerns
Andy Murray has pulled out of what was due to be his first tournament of the season in Florida next week because of coronavirus concerns.
The former world number one accepted a wild card into the Delray Beach Open and had been due to play his first match next Friday but has decided the trip is too risky.
Murray said: “After much deliberation with my team I’ve decided not to travel to play in Delray Beach.
“Given the increase in Covid rates and the transatlantic flights involved, I want to minimise the risks ahead of the Australian Open. I’m really thankful for the understanding of the tournament and I look forward to playing there soon.”
The 33-year-old has been given a wild card for the Australian Open and will travel Down Under in mid-January before a period of quarantine prior to the start of the first grand slam of 2021 on February 8.
Australia has strict protocols regarding entry to the country and travelling to the USA first, where coronavirus cases remain high, could potentially jeopardise his plans.
British number one Dan Evans has also pulled out of Delray Beach and the pair will continue to prepare in London ahead of the new season.
There appears reason for optimism regarding Murray’s prospects for 2021 after he defeated both Evans and Cameron Norrie at the recent Battle of the Brits event.
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
German legend Boris Becker is backing Alexander Zverev to win his first Grand Slam title in 2021.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
US Open champion Dominic Thiem insists next month’s Australian Open should go ahead despite players being in quarantine.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
Andy Murray is out of next month’s Australian Open here we look at the timeline of Murray’s injury troubles since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin…
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…