ATP confirms Australian Open will start three weeks later than planned with qualifiers moved to Doha
The Australian Open men’s tournament will be delayed by three weeks due to coronavirus and will run from 8-21 February, the ATP has said.
The association announced an update for the first seven weeks of the season “as tennis continues to navigate its return during the Covid-19 pandemic”.
Qualification for the first major of the year has been moved to Doha, Qatar, from January 10 to 13, which will allow time for travel and a 14-day quarantine period for all players and support staff travelling to Melbourne, the ATP said in its statement.
The ATP has today announced an update to the 2021 ATP Tour calendar, outlining a revised schedule for the first seven weeks of the season.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) December 17, 2020
Auckland’s ASB Classic and the New York Open will not place due to the pandemic, while the ATP said it was attempting to secure new dates for the Rio Open, which was scheduled to start on February 17 but now conflicts with the Australian Open.
It comes after Australian Open organiser Tennis Australia said on December 1 it was confident details would soon be finalised for the 2021 tournament.
The Grand Slam was due to start on January 18 but strict quarantine rules in the country had left Tennis Australia locked in negotiations with the Victorian Government to try to come up with workable arrangements.
It is unclear if the women’s and wheelchair sides of the draw will commence when scheduled.
The ATP Challenger Tour season will start on January 18, after qualification for Melbourne concludes.
EXCLUSIVE – Leon Smith reflects on coaching Andy Murray and the role of the inspirational Judy Murray
Leon Smith looks back on his days coaching Andy Murray.
Alexander Zverev goes ‘back to his family roots’ as he leaves Roger Federer’s management firm
Alexander Zverev confirms changes to his team.
Tennis players’ isolation complaints given short shrift by Victorian Premier
A total of 72 players are unable to leave their rooms.
Kevin Anderson on potential ATP-WTA merger: ‘There have been no real discussions’
No ATP-WTA merger talks underway.
‘Players upset’ over privileges afforded to Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem
“It’s not apples and apples here, but apples and pears.”
More Australian Open players go into isolation taking number up to 72
Forty-seven had already been quarantined.
How Australian Open players are keeping themselves occupied in quarantine
A total of 47 players forced to quarantine.
Australian Open preparations rocked by fourth positive Covid case
A positive test was returned on a charter flight from LA.
Players were made aware of isolation risks on arrival to Australia – Craig Tiley
Forty seven players to remain in their hotel rooms.