No fans allowed at Australian Open for next few days after Melbourne goes back into lockdown
The Australian Open will continue without fans for the next five days after Melbourne was placed in a lockdown.
Premier Daniel Andrews announced new “circuit-breaker” restrictions will come in from 11.59pm local time on Friday following a cluster of 13 coronavirus cases linked to the Holiday Inn hotel at Melbourne Airport.
The tournament had been played in front of a reduced capacity for the opening five days, but it will now continue behind closed doors while the lockdown is in place, with Victorians having been told to stay at home.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) February 12, 2021
“Tennis Australia continues to work with the government to ensure the health and safety of everyone,” tournament organisers said in a statement.
“We are notifying ticketholders, players and staff that there will be no fans onsite at the AO for five days, commencing from Saturday 13 February.
“The AO broadcast-only contingency plan will commence from Saturday 13 February until restrictions are lifted. Play will continue uninterrupted on broadcast, albeit without spectators onsite.
“We will provide further updates on the new conditions as soon as possible.”
Fans are allowed to remain on the grounds for Friday’s play which sees Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic, Dominic Thiem and Naomi Osaka in action.
Andy Murray shows reals signs of promise despite defeat to Andrey Rublev
There were certainly encouraging signs for Murray, who came through the physical test against the big-hitting fourth seed.
Angry Andy Murray loses to world number eight Andrey Rublev in Rotterdam
The three-time grand slam winner smashed his racket into the ground as he was beaten 7-5 6-2.
ATP announces ‘Covid Protection Ranking’ amid ongoing restrictions
ATP announces new system and some tweaks to other systems.
WATCH: Turning his back on play, brilliant winners, racket smashing from Daniil Medvedev as he loses
Daniil Medvedev entertains, even when he loses.
‘I just don’t feel well here’ – Alexander Zverev’s Rotterdam woes continue as he bemoans early exit
Early exit for Alexander Zverev in Rotterdam.
As football’s VAR struggles continue, tennis celebrates 15 years of Hawk-Eye’s electronic line calling system
Hawk-Eye in tennis, some like it, some don’t.
Rafael Nadal vows he will continue to play tennis as long as he is ‘healthy and able to compete’
Rafael Nadal on retirement.
Tim Henman says ‘mesmerising’ Roger Federer ‘won’t just make up the numbers’ upon his return
Tim Henman on Roger Federer’s comeback.
Andrey Rublev expects ‘fun’ match against ‘true legend’ Andy Murray as Scot praises Russian’s work ethic
Andrey Rublev and Andy Murray sing each other’s praises.
Stefanos Tsitsipas explains how change in mindset helped him to turn things around in Rotterdam opener
Stefanos Tsitsipas shows some fight in Rotterdam win.