Peng Shua news: IOC boss vows to support inquiry if tennis player seeks one

China's Peng Shuai in action

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has vow to give Peng Shuai much-needed support if the Chinese player wants an inquiry over the sexual allegations.

On Thursday IOC boss Thomas Bach told the media on the eve of the opening ceremony of the Winter Games that he will meet personally with the 36-year-old during Beijing 2022.

Last year Shuai accused former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of coercing her into having sex however later she has since denied the allegations.

Shuai was last seen in public in November although state media issued various videos and press releases about her going about life in her home country.

Bach said they will meet with Peng inside the “closed loop” of the Beijing Olympics.

“Our approach is first and foremost in the interests of Peng Shuai to answer the question which was concerning us from a human point of view, that of where is Peng Shuai? That’s why we took this approach to get in contact and get to know where she is and as far as possible how she is,” Bach said at the news conference.

“This you can only achieve if you take contact, if you do not take contact, if you just make a declaration about the status, you don’t get any further normally.

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has suspended all tournaments in China due to its concerns over Peng’s safety.

After finding out about the allegations, the WTA has thrown their support behind Peng.

 

Bach added: “We are step by step trying to find out if she wants to have the inquiry. Of course, we would also support her in this, but it must be her decision. It’s her life, it’s her allegations.

“We will have this personal meeting and continue this conversation. We will know more about her physical integrity and mental state when we meet her in person.”

Latest