Peng Shuai news: Former doubles world No 1 says ‘post resulted in an enormous misunderstanding’
Peng Shuai has reiterated that she was taken out of context and people misunderstood her when she sexual allegation claims against a high-ranking Chinese official.
Last year former doubles world No 1 Shuai accused former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of coercing her into having sex however she later denied the allegations.
On Saturday the 36-year-old met with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) boss Thomas Bach face-to-face in presence of former Chair of the Athletes’ Commission and IOC member Kirsty Coventry.
Shuai informed Bach that she would attend several events at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 and denied making any sexual allegations.
IOC statement on meeting with Peng Shuaihttps://t.co/Nc7RfNNAeS
— IOC MEDIA (@iocmedia) February 7, 2022
In her interview with a French newspaper L’Equipe, when asked what happened, Shuai said: “Sexual assault? I never said that anyone made me submit to a sexual assault. This post resulted in an enormous misunderstanding from the outside world.”
When asked why she deleted the post, she said, “Because I wanted to, “I don’t want the meaning of this post to be twisted anymore. And I don’t want any further media hype around it.”
Shuai has added that she did not disappear from the public.
“It’s just that many people, like my friends or people from the IOC messaged me, and it was simply impossible to answer so many messages. But I’ve been always in close contact with my close friends,” she concluded.
Rod Laver believes Wimbledon final has changed Nick Kyrgios
Nick Kyrgios could be ‘the guy’ in 2023.
Novak Djokovic reveals how he ‘creates an image of success’
Novak Djokovic is always striving to gain an edge.
Stefanos Tsitsipas social media post suggests he is still dreaming about Roger Federer
Tsitsipas has given a hint that he doesn’t want his weekend playing alongside the greats of the modern game to end.
ATP Race to Turin hots up in Seoul, Sofia and Tel Aviv
Novak Djokovic is one of a number of ATP Tour stars out to get ahead in the Race to Turin.
Novak Djokovic outlines his ambitions as he prepares for ATP Tour return
Novak Djokovic has insisted his ambition to achieve more in the game.
Serena Williams reveals why she decided to retire at the US Open
Serena Williams says she wants to devote her time to being a mother to her daughter Olympia.
Roger Federer’s former coach reveals inside story on retirement plan
Ljubicic had told Eurosport that Federer’s decision to quit was made some time ago.
Jannik Sinner sets out to bag Sofia Open hat-trick
Can Jannik Sinner win the title in Sofia for the third time in a row?
Wimbledon ban proves a blessing for Liudmila Samsonova
Liudmila Samsonova says missing Wimbledon allowed her to work on her game and she is now reaping the benefits.